AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 150 gallon and 75 gallon Sciaenochromis Tanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Default Re: The 150 gallon and 75 gallon Sciaenochromis Tanks

Doing a bit of a pivot on my breeding project. I've spent quite a lot of time talking with seasoned african cichlid breeders the past few weeks, and all of them have told me to not go forward with my plan as is. I won't disparage any specific source or breeder, but I will need to find a different male for this project. I still have my ladies coming in (just the sciaenochromis now, had to leave town on a business trip the other week and cancelled the lithobates order so they didn't die on my front porch while I was out of town).

I'm in talks with several people to source some very rare fish for a breeder male for this project. Will update as that time gets closer.

Since I'm so limited on space, I will need to re-home my Eureka male in the coming weeks to make room for the future breeder coming in next month. I'll try local groups as he's such a stunning fish and want to make sure he goes to a really good home. I would keep him as a pet if I had more tanks, but I have one show tank and one breeding tank (which I still need to find a place for!) so he will need to find a new home. More updates when I have good news!

20230701_173024.jpg
    Last edited by GalaxyKoiBoi; 07-05-2023 at 11:47 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

20230625_194644.jpg

And just for fun, here is a night shot of my tank with the actinic LEDs on and some rock work I placed in there.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

20230725_164647.jpg

The ladies are here! I have 8 sciaenochromis multicolor females from Germany all in the tank. These are showing a LOT of color for haplochromis females, which means their babies are going to be gorgeous. Picked these girls up from Southwest Cargo at the airport today and they are already settling in nicely.

The males will be here tomorrow. They are from an EXTREMELY rare strain of sciaenochromis developed here in the states, and I am beyond excited to work with them. I will post tomorrow after they've settled in the tank.

Sounds like you'll have it going on soon enough. I'm looking forward to seeing the gentlemen.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

20230726_085209.jpg

They are here! I was able to secure 2 Sciaenochromis Goldfrapp males from Cichlid Lovers in Tucson AZ. This strain is line bred from German Icebergs to get the gold/yellow blaze on the tip of the body (regular Icebergs are all white). As you can see I have 2 varieties. The brighter blue one with longer fins is your more classic Iceberg pattern, except that as he grows that blaze will move halfway down his body and get deeper yellow. The other variety is what I'm going for, as the gold will grow from his blaze and belly while his body will get deeper platinum and purple as he ages. I will let them develop and grow more before choosing the breeder, but for now I am leaning towards the purple guy. As you can see they are smaller than the females, and at about 2.5" they are already showing an insane amount of color.

Screenshot_20230706_125834_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_120500_Facebook.jpg

These pictures are roughly what each male will look like as they mature. Beyond excited to work with these fish! Now I need to get my 75 gallon breeding tank up and running!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Screenshot_20230808_133219_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230806_224222_Gallery.jpg

Some updated pics of the boys as they have settled in. Lots of promise with these two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123