AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White patch near vent and spinous dorsal fin

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: White patch near vent and spinous dorsal fin

Aeromonas has been treated with little success with a combination of kanamycin and nitrofurazone although the treatments I'm aware of are on already compromised fish. Another known and possibly better treatment is with enrofloxacin, although I'm not disputing Al's recommendations. Out of the many cases I've seen, there may have been a single success story. Aeromonas must be caught in its earliest stages if there is any chance at all of saving the fish. Can you post a photo of the newest one? If the affected area is identical to the first one then I doubt you're dealing with aeromonas.

If it is aeromonas and it's spreading, I would be tempted to run a dose or two of Chloramine T but not on discus already showing symptoms. Chloramine T should eradicate all free bacteria in the system including the beneficial bacteria.

Make sure you sanitize your hands after making any contact with the water...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Ethan, Im sorry to hear this. Its really sounding like Aeromonas. Are all the fish eating?

Also.. your beefheart mix you feed.. do you make it yourself? Whats in it?

Al
    The other 5 are eating great.

Beef heart, shrimp, sole, banana, little peas and carrots and a vitamin pack from the person who supplied the fish mainly consisting of spiralina.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I would suggest seeing if your local vet can culture the bacterial infection and ID it...if not we are just guessing here.. I can suggest treating the whole tank with minocycline . You can find this antibiotic in maracyn 2..https://www.chewy.com/fritz-aquatics...RoCSSAQAvD_BwE

By most accounts Aeromonas is susceptible to minocycline antibiotic at least somewhat.

Another option is Ciprofloxacin which is more effective..
    https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....xoCT0cQAvD_BwE

A vet maybe able to prescribe one if the following....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3425809/
    highest susceptibilities against chloramphenicol (61.1%), gentamicin, nitrofurantoin and cefotaxime (55.6%), and minocycline (50%), while high resistances were demonstrated against cephalothin (94.4%) and tetracycline (77.8%) as shown in Figure 3. On the other hand, isolates from Alice showed 83.3% susceptibility against ciprofloxacin, chloramphenicol, ofloxacin, gentamicin, and nalidixic acid and 66.7% susceptibility against nitrofurantoin and erythromycin
    Ok thank you. I'll contact my vet and see what they can do. The new sick one passed this morning. Only issues with getting culture's is they don't do it here and send it out. After which they say it's almost pointless because the sample isn't fresh enough...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Aeromonas has been treated with little success with a combination of kanamycin and nitrofurazone although the treatments I'm aware of are on already compromised fish. Another known and possibly better treatment is with enrofloxacin, although I'm not disputing Al's recommendations. Out of the many cases I've seen, there may have been a single success story. Aeromonas must be caught in its earliest stages if there is any chance at all of saving the fish. Can you post a photo of the newest one? If the affected area is identical to the first one then I doubt you're dealing with aeromonas.

If it is aeromonas and it's spreading, I would be tempted to run a dose or two of Chloramine T but not on discus already showing symptoms. Chloramine T should eradicate all free bacteria in the system including the beneficial bacteria.

Make sure you sanitize your hands after making any contact with the water...
    I should of taken a photo of the newest one but it has past and been disposed of... but it did look identical. Showing in slightly different area. Mainly on the forehead. It also took almost the exact same time to cause of death.

Think I might give the 5 I have left away and shut the tank down and sanitize the tank...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12