ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sick Cory

Registered Member

Default Sick Cory

Wondering if anyone could help identify this disease in some new Cories I got. I originally thought it was ice but I don't think so I have treated for ich for 6 days (3 48 hour treatments) and it hasn't really spread or got bette but has gotten a bit worse on the main fish that has it. It also doesn't seem to be as perfect of dots as I think of with ich. I think it might be epistylis.IMG_1023.jpgIMG_1014.jpg Thanks for any help know it isn't really a discus question.

Registered Member

Default Re: Sick Cory

Bottom pick is Monday morning so about exactly 4 days ago.

Hi,
    Thats a really hard one as the pic really doesn't show much as far as details.. it really looks like small pieces of that white substrate..Is that substrate new? Is it possible thats what you are seeing?
    If you want to email me a few pics of the fish in question as hi-res, uneditted images, maybe I can bring out some more details. email to brewmaster15@comcast.net If your camera or phone can take "Raw"images, send those.

short of pics, If I thought it was a parasite,, I would try something like Paraguard, or a salt dip. Corys can be a bit sensitive though so you may want to use doses and concentrations at 1/2 strength initially.

paraguard and corys
    https://forum.seachem.com/forum/fres...s-and-rasboras
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

thanks I will try to get a raw photo of them. I thought about the sand but discarded it after it seemed to increase over time. Honestly I have never kept sand before, mostly done BB and some gravel but coming back to the hobby it seems sand is the preferred substrate nowadays if you aren't going to do BB. They have been treated with 3 doses of API super ich cure (treated at 30gallons strength in a 55 due to Cories being sensitive) didn't seem to do much.

The fish seem fine they are eating and active, there are 18 Cardinals in there with them who have not shown any signs of anything wrong. Sand has been in there for just over 2 months now, I did prewash it but it still floats up to the top a bit if disturbed. It has been a bit of a pain, I have black sand in a 10 gallon betta tank that doesn't seem to have any of the issues of not staying put. Would be great if they aren't sick thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi,
    Thats a really hard one as the pic really doesn't show much as far as details.. it really looks like small pieces of that white substrate..Is that substrate new? Is it possible thats what you are seeing?
    If you want to email me a few pics of the fish in question as hi-res, uneditted images, maybe I can bring out some more details. email to brewmaster15@comcast.net If your camera or phone can take "Raw"images, send those.

short of pics, If I thought it was a parasite,, I would try something like Paraguard, or a salt dip. Corys can be a bit sensitive though so you may want to use doses and concentrations at 1/2 strength initially.

paraguard and corys
    https://forum.seachem.com/forum/fres...s-and-rasboras