AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Heater Controller Recommendations

Default Heater Controller Recommendations

Hello all,

Its been awhile but I am re-setting up some tanks for some discus and plecos. I have been out of the game for a while but need to set up a couple of new tanks and would like to use some heater controllers as I don't trust ANY BRAND of heaters internal thermostat. I have heard good things about the Inkbird controllers but on the Saltwater forum I also belong to there have been multiple issues with the Inkbirds.

If you use a heater controller, please chime in with what brand and if you have had any problems with them. I currently have 8 Ranco ETC-1 controllers for my larger tanks (salt and fresh) and water storage containers and they are rock solid even after 15-20 years of use. The Inkbirds are considerable cheaper that the Rancos but in the long run, if I have to replace the Inkbirds a couple of times over the next 20 years then the Rancos are a cheaper option if you follow my logic... LOL.

Any comments and/or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day.

Troy

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Heater Controller Recommendations

After losing the bulk of my discus when lightening struck outside my house, I don't trust any heaters either, including those with external controllers, except analog Via Aqua's but they are no longer made.

I would like something with a high/low temp alarm, and I do kind of like the wifi idea so you have a backup warning if you're not home or paying attention.

Another option is to use an ST-1000 controller but you'd have to construct a housing to make it visually appealing, unless you don't care what it looks like. I have several but I haven't used any yet.

If you have that much trust in Ranco's, I'd stick with that!
    Last edited by jeep; 04-24-2023 at 01:10 PM.

I don't use them but everyone here who does says only good things about the Inkbird's.
    Mama Bear

I have 6 Inkbird with no failures. Inkbird has a store at eBay, and they are sold new for the lowest price around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39239465741...IAAOSwlmJjW7ED

Screenshot 2023-04-24 124649.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

I just contacted Jehmco about the price on the Ranco's and their website is wrong on prices.

The controllers went from $64 each to $80 each and if you want them prewired they went from $85 to 101. But, in the long run, the price difference in one controller is minimal compared to the price of losing fish......

Rancos it is. Now to see where they are priced the best. Amazon has about the same price as Jehmco but no shipping cost.

Thanks for all the input.

Real Name
    Brian

Which model Ranco do you like?

I think the ones I have are the ETC-111000-000. I will check one when I get home tonight to make sure. I guess I didn't know they made so many versions of it....

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I recently switched to this heater for my 125-gallon discus tank and it has been running since 11/03/22 without a hitch so far. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know what you think of it. Some reviewers love it but it failed badly for others. But the price is good for a fancy heater like that.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I use hygger heaters but still back them up with inkbirds. Inkbirds since 20 with no problems.

Real Name
    Jacob

I have been using Inkbirds for everything from incubators to aquariums to honey heating for liquification. I own about 10 or more Inkbird devices. No issues for years until last week. My oldest one croaked. But I believe the kids or the dogs damaged the temp probe, so I don't know that I blame the device.

Just ordered 2 of the Ranco etc-111000 from Walmart.com. They had the lowest price that I would find on the internet, $70 each. I will have to wire them myself but that is pretty easy. I wired the other 8 I have although that was about 15 years ago LOL. I have never used a thermal well on any of them and they all still work flawlessly, even the ones I have had in saltwater for a few years. I pair the controllers with titanium and even some old Won Bros stainless steel heaters I have had over the years that the controllers went out on and I cut the controller off and put new cord ends on them.

Thanks for the comments and ideas everyone.

I can't wait to get it all together and get some flat fish again. (Talking to you Jeep.....LOL)