AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Nitrate reducing plants above water column

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Nitrate reducing plants above water column

I read that pothos, peace lily,spider plant,monstera plant species,etc etc could reduce nitrates. Has anybody used these and which plant in particular absorb nitrates best and is it better tying them to driftwood which are above water surface or put them in top filters

Default Re: Nitrate reducing plants above water column

Pothos and philodendron vines are very good. Pothos is among the best. You just need to cut the vines tie them.in a bunch and stick them into the tank water a few inches.. periodically trim roots as these can grow very fast.

Note.. pothos is not a direct sun plant.. bright indirect light is best.

See this thread..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ted-quot-tanks

pltDSCN4842.jpg
    Hth,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-05-2023 at 09:00 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Dave

Hoya Wax Plant is also a good one for a vine plant that grows out of the tank.

If you want to create shade spots in the tank water hyacinth is a good pond plant that will bloom. It floats on the water and eats nitrate.
    I have Hoya Wax Plant and Pothos by my HOB filter so it can grow across the tank, and I have Water Hyacinth and floating red root (yes that is the name of the plant) floating in the tank, and I also have a variety of Anubias on a stump in the tank.

I can sell the Anubias and Water Hyacinth as i get pieces that break off the Anubias and babies on the Water Hyacinth.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Mervin

Common name, Water Sprite there are two genus of this plant. Both will can float or can be planted. Low or medium light. Fast grower = great nitrate sponge.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Very useful information thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

I never thought water hyacinth could be kept in a discus fish aquarium. To me it is a huge plant

Water hyacinth is excellent at sucking up toxins and heavy metals also..its used in cleaning up contaminated ground..

I have had it in my pond here but could never keep it alive when I brought it in for the winter.. I think the change in light levels shocked it or I waited too long to bring it in.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Water hyacinth is excellent at sucking up toxins and heavy metals also..its used in cleaning up contaminated ground..

I have had it in my pond here but could never keep it alive when I brought it in for the winter.. I think the change in light levels shocked it or I waited too long to bring it in.

Al
    Al,
    I am running two Fluval plant lights on my 75 gallon. One old style with manual switch, and one with the app that I can set for times to be on and times to turn to moonlight. I am seeing about four babies now on different Water Hyacinth plants. The tank also is by a window that gets east lighting
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray