AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Small size quarantine aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Small size quarantine aquarium

How many discus fish all adult size from 4 inch to 4.5 all from same source can be put in a quarantine aquarium about 3 feet long and 1.5 feet wide and 1.5 high. As long as the new discus fish are looking healthy with erect fins and passing dark poo is it still necessary to go for metrogyl treatments. Or is it enough that just keep them in clean water in quarantine aquarium and turn up temperature to about 29c and after about 4 weeks add them in the main aquarium.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Small size quarantine aquarium

Based on the dimensions posted it's a 50 gallon tank. Perhaps four to six discus in the 4+ inch size. I know Al would suggest it is best to deworm them before adding them to the main tank and I also follow that advice. I would suggest using a hero fish before mixing them with your other discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

By hero fish i understand take a strong healthy fish and add it to the quarantine aquarium where there are the newly added discus. If that new fish survive then discus are fine and could be added to the main aquarium
    Last edited by ganesan; 05-07-2023 at 12:48 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Also answers the question of whether your tank may be carrying something that all of your fish are resistant to. If the new fish get sick, then you have a different challenge. Your QT becomes a HT overnight.