ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone into Mexican

Default Re: Anyone into Mexican

I'd like to see even if she doesn't measure. I'm not a good a cook as she is and measurements are helpful, especially the first time I'm making a recipe. If she could say a large pinch of a small pinch, a large handful or a the amount that fits in your palm it would be a good help. Tell her that I thank her in advance. I wish I could have her help me in advance but it very unlikely that y'all live anywhere close to me.
    Mama Bear

Everything in the little town where I lived was spice enough to knock you flat, I had no choice but the get used to it if I weren't to starve to death. But the puerco pibil was close to tolerable. The tortillas served with it helped.

Could you at least let me know if she made it in a pit in the ground, a smoker, or the oven. Of the two things on my wish list are a used wine cooler for raising white worms and a smoker. I saw this thing on Ebay. I know that everyone uses something fancy, but would this do the job? I'm 72 years old so it doesn't have to last forever.
    Mama Bear

I finally found a recipe for Mexican rice that was the exact same thing as I had when I lived in Cholula de Puebla. Everything that I put in it with the exception of the rice and oil came from my own little garden. I swear, I could taste the freshness.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups MahatmaŽ Rice Extra Long Grain White Rice
    3 tbsp canola, vegetable, or corn oil
    1/4 onion diced
    1 garlic clove crushed
    1 tbsp Knorr chicken bouillon
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    2 roma tomatoes (makes 8 oz tomato juice)
    2 cups hot water
    1/4 tsp salt or to taste
    3 sprigs cilantro
    1 jalapeno
    INSTRUCTIONS

Over medium heat, add the oil to a heavy-bottomed or good quality non-stick pan, then fry the onions and garlic

When the onions and garlic have lightly browned, remove the garlic and set it aside.

Add MahatmaŽ Rice Extra Long Grain White Rice to the pot and toast the rice in the oil, moving it constantly for about 5 minutes or until it becomes slightly puffy and golden brown.

Add the Knorr chicken bouillon and garlic powder, the mix and continue toasting for another minute.

Blend together the roma tomatoes and fried garlic clove. You should have about 8 oz (1 cup) of tomato sauce.

Add it to the rice, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. The color should change to warm reddish orange color. At this point, watch the heat to make sure the bottom is not burning. Adjust the heat if you need to.

Add the HOT water to the rice. It has to be hot- if the liquid isn't bubbling on the sides of the pot, your water is not hot enough. Stir in salt to taste at this point if you're adding. I recommend about 1/4 tsp.

Add the cilantro and jalapeno on top, continue boiling over medium-low heat until some of the water has evaporated. Then turn the heat to the lowest setting and cover for 20 minutes. Do NOT lift the lid!

After 20 minutes, turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. There will be a thin layer of tomato sauce at the top- that is what we want. Just gently fluff & mix it into the rice to distribute evenly.

At this point, the rice is ready if you don't like overly soft rice. This is good for me, but if you want it more soft & fluffy, cover for another 10 minutes (no heat).
    Mama Bear

Liz that sounds delish! Im going to have to give it a try. Thanks!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123