ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Mexican

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Anyone into Mexican

looks great. Would be wonderful with my smoked pork butt. I use a wood burning smoker and not propane or pellets. Wood from fruit trees adds a nice flavor to the meat.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Here's the chicken enchilada recipe for you Liz

PAUL'S CHICKEN ENCHILADA RECIPE

(NOTES:
    - This recipe is for 3-4 enchiladas per person for 2 people -i.e. 6-8 enchiladas)

(- If you wish to make your own authentic mexican enchilada sauce, the recipe will be found in either one of these 2 websites:

- mexicanfoodjournal.com/red-enchilada-sauce

- daringgourmet.com/enchilada-sauce-mexican-red-chile-sauce

These recipes are fairly lengthy & time-consuming, using some chiles which may be hard to find, so, an authentic, but simple/easy store-bought source for the sauce is incorporated in my recipe below.

You'll need:

- Package of (8-12) - 6" (small) soft flour tortillas - any brand--

1 -6-7 oz.can (approx. 200 ml) of red enchilada sauce- to be found in any supermarket 'mexican foods' section (get 'medium' heat if available - otherwise 'mild' will suffice - (I use 'Casa Fiesta', but any brand will do)

- 1 small can of any brand of chipotle adobe chiles (you'll just need a couple of tsps. of only the sauce for this recipe, without any pieces of the chiles itself, unless you wish to use some The residual chipotle may be stored in a covered jar in the fridge - where it will last for up to 2-3 weeks or more without spoilage, to be used again for this or any other usages )

- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of grated soft, mild, well-melting cheese of your choice. I generally use Monterey Jack

- 1 - 500 ml tub of 14% sour cream (approx. 16.5 oz.)

- Approx. 1.5 cups of roasted chicken cut into smallish bite-size pieces - I generally use a store-bought roasted half, or whole chicken - breast meat without skin - but you may also use bite-sized roasted thigh pieces, or similar sized pieces of pulled leg meat - or any combination thereof - your choice.

- Optional: 2-3 green onions cut into 1/2 inch pieces for sprinkling over the sour cream when the enchiladas are finished.

Prep work and baking:-

You'll need an oven proof dish of sufficient size, and approx. 3" high, to easily accommodate the 6-8 rolled up tortillas. Lightly butter the bottom of the dish to prevent the tortillas sticking.

- Place the contents of the can of enchilada sauce in a suitably-sized bowl and add 2 or so tspns. of the chipotle adobe sauce to this and mix it in well.

- Place the bite-size chicken pieces in a suitable bowl to which you then add - 2-3, or more, tbspns. of the mixed enchilada sauce - then mix to coat the chicken pieces well with the sauce.

- Working with the tortillas one at a time, add sufficient chicken pieces to fill, and roll each one up to about large cigar size width. Place the rolled up tortillas in a row in the oven proof dish, leaving a small open space between each completed enchilada.

- Spoon almost all of the rest of the reserved enchilada sauce over the tortillas to more or less cover them, as well as the small gaps between each one. The small residue of sauce left over is to be drizzled over all the grated cheese once it has been sprinkled well over all the enchiladas.

- Place in 350 degree pre-heated oven and bake for 25-35 minutes until cheese is fully melted & browning, and the sauce is bubbling.

- Dish up the baked enchiladas, and add large dollops of sour cream overtop along each enchilada, followed by sprinkling over with pieces of the cut up green onion if used.

Enjoy !
    Last edited by discuspaul; 05-18-2023 at 02:11 PM.

Dave a smoker is on my wish list...It has been for several years, unfortunately. I like the one that's shaped like a upside down bomb.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Dave a smoker is on my wish list...It has been for several years, unfortunately. I like the one that's shaped like a upside down bomb.
    I have the Oklahoma Joe reverse flow Longhorn offset smoker. I buy trimmings from the orchards (apple, cherry, apricot) to burn in it.
    I can build a fire in both the cook chamber for grilling and in the fire box for smoking.

Using wood from fruit trees gives a sweet flavor without having to add sugar to the rub.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

I'll be making your enchiladas today, Chef.
    Mama Bear

I'll be making your enchiladas today, Chef.
    Great - Don't know how much heat you like, but let us know how much, or how little, chipotle you feel should be added to your enchilada sauce to have it turn out the way you like it.

Chef, something else came up yesterday and I ran out of time to make it. I'll make it today, for sure. Remember Chef, I lived in a rural town in Mexico for over 4 years. I'm really into the heat. As far as Mexican food, if it doesn't bite back when I bite in, it isn't good. I'll let you know. But my taste is mine alone.
    Mama Bear

Chef, something else came up yesterday and I ran out of time to make it. I'll make it today, for sure. Remember Chef, I lived in a rural town in Mexico for over 4 years. I'm really into the heat. As far as Mexican food, if it doesn't bite back when I bite in, it isn't good. I'll let you know. But my taste is mine alone.
    I like enchiladas to have a good healthy bite to them too -

However - some people, like my brother and his wife, can't stand much heat, but like the chicken emchiladas, so they make them solely wth the mild canned enchilada sauce - no chipotles !

Please don't be disappointed in me Chef. The day I planned to make them something more important came up again! I got disgusted and put the chicken in the freezer. Besides, the 2 supermarkets I visited didn't have plain corn tortillas. What's up with that??!!

Instead I pulled a Char Siu pork loin out of the freezer and had it over rice with broccoli fleurettes. It was delicious and filled me up after a hard day cleaning. I promise that I will make your enchiladas. I will be certain that I have the right tortillas and there is no possibility of nothing unexpected happens that day.

I don't see why these wouldn't freeze well. Would they?
    Mama Bear

Please don't be disappointed in me Chef. The day I planned to make them something more important came up again! I got disgusted and put the chicken in the freezer. Besides, the 2 supermarkets I visited didn't have plain corn tortillas. What's up with that??!!

Instead I pulled a Char Siu pork loin out of the freezer and had it over rice with broccoli fleurettes. It was delicious and filled me up after a hard day cleaning. I promise that I will make your enchiladas. I will be certain that I have the right tortillas and there is no possibility of nothing unexpected happens that day.

I don't see why these wouldn't freeze well. Would they?
    No problem, Liz

Be sure to get soft FLOUR tortillas, as per my recipe, not Corn Tortillas, which I find hard to work with for making these enchiladas - if corn tortillas are not properly pre- softened, they will likely crack open & even fall apart when trying to roll them up for baking.

And yes, the tortillas themselves, once rolled up with the lightly sauced up chicken pieces inside, will freeze nicely - but freeze the bulk of the enchilada sauce separately - and then finish the enchiladas per the recipe, once thawed.

My mistake, Chef. I blame all my small mistakes on being old
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Liz- my wife is mexican, so I guess I am In all seriousness, yes, I'm a mexican food snob now that I have the real deal at home and in Mexico. My wife is a great cook and can pass along recipes. Her puerco pibil is amazing.

Where in Mexico is your wife from mleibowi? I lived in Cholula de Puebla. It was a very small town about 10 miles from the city of Puebla. The food there was fiery hot. Being that I was from New Jersey I wasn't used to any kind of picante hot. I never could get 100% comfortable with that amount of heat but since I didn't want to starve I learned to like it. I would love her recipe for puerco pibil.
    Mama Bear

Holy Moly, I just googled puerco pibil and this is the recipe I have been searching for. In choula there was a nice "upscale" for the area, bar/restaurant where they served something called barbacoa. This is exactly what it sounds like. Is this how your wife makes it? I would sure like to compare the recipes. The only grill I have is a little Smoky Joe. I can't afford anything better at the moment. I think it might work but I'm not sure how I would regulate the temperature. I might be able to get by with one of my instant read thermometers if I can find a way to keep the plastic that they use to keep the probe in from melting. https://www.seriouseats.com/cochinit...ed-pork-recipe
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Liz- my wife is from Monterrey. I found the further south, the chilis they use are different and more of tvr even hotter habeņeros. She doesn’t make it as spicey for my gringo pallet and my kids. I can ask her for her recipe and she is more of add this and that without exact measurements unless she’s baking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast