AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water Fungus and fish

Default Water Fungus and fish

I came across an interesting article on fungus. Its a review of information. The article isn't very long and though it doesnt pertain directly to discus there is a good amount of cross species relevent information as well as treatment suggestions.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Saprolegniosis

The article seems to be geared more towards goldfish and carp but fungus of the order Saprolegniacea really dont distinguish between different species of fish or fish eggs so its still relevent.

When we see our discus eggs white and fuzzy...these are the fungus that cause it.. same when your fish gets injured and the area gets whitish and fuzzy.

Just thought I would post it to share. I think its a translated article and Its a little off I think grammatically.. I'm not hung up on that though.. most of my posts are grammatically challenged. I am.interested in the malachite green and salt info given.

Hope you find it interesting.. feel free to post on it this thread or share other articles on fungus.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-09-2023 at 08:28 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Water Fungus and fish

It was interesting. But PPM is over my head due to the fact that I am mathematically challenged. Is there any way to translate that to drops of MG per gallon? I've been using meth blue on my eggs but could easily change to Malachite green. There is a product that Tammy swears by. Others have had success with it as well. I can't remember what it's called but all it is is Salt and Malachite green.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jake

If you're looking for a direct conversion, 1 ppm is the same as 1 mg/L. One gallon is approximately 3.785 liters, so to get mg/gallon would be multiplying 1 by 3.785, or 3.785mg/gallon.

Thank you Jake. That will make it doable. (I hope lol)
    Mama Bear

Im thinking I might give malachite green a shot next spawn or maybe seachem's paraguard.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'll check it out with my rams before I try it with Discus. I wish I didn't need any more rams to grow out but I don't want to risk it with the Discus until I know it works. Let me know how it goes. I'll be watching.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

There’s a conversion calculator ppm to ml

http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/ppmml_l.php

https://www.unitconverters.net/conce...gram-liter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It was interesting. But PPM is over my head due to the fact that I am mathematically challenged. Is there any way to translate that to drops of MG per gallon? I've been using meth blue on my eggs but could easily change to Malachite green. There is a product that Tammy swears by. Others have had success with it as well. I can't remember what it's called but all it is is Salt and Malachite green.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Thanks Francis. I don't know why I didn't think of asking my best friend, Google.
    Mama Bear