AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tool for shipping

Default Re: New tool for shipping

They all just as good but the 5 mm heat element you get a wider seal.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Now I know for when this one eventually gives up the ghost.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz, check out Joe Gargas posting on Aquabid, he uses the breathable bags but it sound like the Discus are only Dime size, this is good for anyone that doesn't an oxygen tank.

Yes, the Discus he sells are tiny and can go in breather bags. I have O2 and feel more comfortable using real bags.
    Mama Bear

It turns out that I bought the wrong one. I used it twice on 4" 2 mil bags and the fish arrived alive and well, so I was pumped to use it on the big shipment. Unfortunately the seal didn't hold on the 6" bags I used and all but one of the bags had burst at the seam. thankfully I had more fish so I could replace them. I used the the old knot this time and the fish made it fine, although the bags were somewhat deflated. I'm all out of fish to sell now except for a single male Black ram that'll go out tomorrow. I have 10 breather bags arriving today. I'll try the first breather bag on that fish. The more I read about the breather bags the better they sound for soft bodied fish like rams. When I get Discus fry, I'll have to hire someone to help me do the rubber banding. She used to work at my LPS and she has banded millions of bags. I hate to have to hire someone to do something that I should be able to do myself, but it is what it is.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Could you twist, fold over, and use a cable tie? If so I have cable ties that you are welcome to.

Registered Member

Liz, have you seen something with metal ring use with a plier. Some call this cattle collar.

Liz
    The breather bags are great that's what I use with the sealer, but I went with a lot of testing to find the correct temperature and you can always double seal. see if you can get the wide 5mm element for yours.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It turns out that I bought the wrong one. I used it twice on 4" 2 mil bags and the fish arrived alive and well, so I was pumped to use it on the big shipment. Unfortunately the seal didn't hold on the 6" bags I used and all but one of the bags had burst at the seam. thankfully I had more fish so I could replace them. I used the the old knot this time and the fish made it fine, although the bags were somewhat deflated. I'm all out of fish to sell now except for a single male Black ram that'll go out tomorrow. I have 10 breather bags arriving today. I'll try the first breather bag on that fish. The more I read about the breather bags the better they sound for soft bodied fish like rams. When I get Discus fry, I'll have to hire someone to help me do the rubber banding. She used to work at my LPS and she has banded millions of bags. I hate to have to hire someone to do something that I should be able to do myself, but it is what it is.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    Could you twist, fold over, and use a cable tie? If so I have cable ties that you are welcome to.
    I've used zip ties, Greg. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't, same as my knots. And I to zip or knot them as tight as I can. I think that this is a problem with me, not with the methods I've used. KNowing the way I am, I should be good at this kind of thing that is so easy for others.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Liz, have you seen something with metal ring use with a plier. Some call this cattle collar.
    I haven't heard the "cattle collar", Cliff. I'll look into it, but I know that my hands aren't as strong as they were. I don't know how good at squeezing the plyers would work for them.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    Liz
    The breather bags are great that's what I use with the sealer, but I went with a lot of testing to find the correct temperature and you can always double seal. see if you can get the wide 5mm element for yours.
    The company that makes mine only has the one narrow element. I do double seal with mine already. I used it today to seal the breather bag I'll be taking to the shipping place after I post. Then I'll be on pins and needles for a day until the box arrives.

I'll have no fish ready to ship for another month so I'll put the whole thing out of my mind.

Thanks for you're help, everyone. It's not like all my fish shipping ends in disaster. Most fish arrive fine, and everyone is happy. It's just hard on me when there's a problem. I want all my orders to arrive perfectly, and it shouldn't be this hard.
    Mama Bear

If you bought it in Amazon you might be able to return it. That's what did and got the one with the 5 mm element.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    The company that makes mine only has the one narrow element. I do double seal with mine already. I used it today to seal the breather bag I'll be taking to the shipping place after I post. Then I'll be on pins and needles for a day until the box arrives.

I'll have no fish ready to ship for another month so I'll put the whole thing out of my mind.

Thanks for you're help, everyone. It's not like all my fish shipping ends in disaster. Most fish arrive fine, and everyone is happy. It's just hard on me when there's a problem. I want all my orders to arrive perfectly, and it shouldn't be this hard.
    Just Call Me Chuck

I'd rather find it a good home. If a neighbor doesn't want it, I'll take it to a Good Will store. It'll work great for sealing lots of stuff. It just didn't work well for me with fish bags. I'll buy one like yours before I ship again.
    Where do you get your breather bags, Chuck, and what size do you buy. Are there breather bags that will hold 3 to 6 adult Rams?
    Mama Bear

I got some from aqpkg.com but there out of the smaller quantities of the 5.5 x 8" you don't need any bigger for one or two rams in a bag if you use the sealer. Now Aquatic arts has them also and just as good. Aquabid has some larger ones all expensive but worth it if no 02 is needed and no air pocket.

Aqpkg Link

https://www.aqpkg.com/collections/po...22847314722874

Aquatic Arts Link:

https://aquaticarts.com/products/aqu...39384601886806
    Just Call Me Chuck

Thanks for your help and the info, Chuck.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast