AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: White gray round blotches on Discus body

Registered Member

Default White gray round blotches on Discus body

Hello, I have a Blue Diamond around 4" from a 60 gallon tank in a quarantine tank right now.
    It has some whitish grey round blotches on the side of the body. It has normal behavior and is eating.
    I need to know what the problem is so I can treat with meds if necessary. I do water changes every
    other day. If it is a water issue then I just keep doing changes.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I have some whitish grey round blotches on the side of the fish's body. Occurred about a week ago.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Just some head standing

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I tried some salt, Erthromyacin and General Cure.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

60 gallon about 12 years old and 3 other discus 4 to 5"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Water change once a week 50%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

12 Years with substrate sand and gravel. Vacuum at time of water change

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Age my water for 5 days with R/o water and tap

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

I use prime add to barrel a capful for 50 gallons

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _86____

- ph _7.4____

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _20___

- nitrate reading _50___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __tap[__

- RO water __*__

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

FDB in the am. FDB twice daily. Brine Shrimp and beef heart at night time.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by jeep; 07-08-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    08-08-2004, 12:09 AM #2

sick2.jpgsick1.jpg

Default Re: White gray round blotches on Discus body

Those are very different than what we normally see. You mentioned you tried Erthromyacin and General Cure. How long did you use those meds?
    Also have any of these spots grown in size since they showed up or did any rupture?

Also .. have ever dewormed?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mervin

From reading, I can see some discrepancies in information. You say in one statement WC"s once a week and below that it's 50% every other day. Not sure how much nitrates are in your source water but it too high if you change 50% water every other day. The nitrites are sky high/toxic as well. I'm not sure if you add Prime conditioner to your water and use the water or let it set in the barrel; It does make big difference to the bond which only lasts for 24-48 hours.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 05-17-2023 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    From reading, I can see some discrepancies in information. You say in one statement WC"s once a week and below that it's 50% every other day. Not sure how much nitrates are in your source water but it too high if you change 50% water every other day. The nitrites are sky high/toxic as well. I'm not sure if you add Prime conditioner to your water and use the water or let it set in the barrel; It does make big difference to the bond which only lasts for 24-48 hours.
    Good points. I saw those Nitrites too Mervin, I have to wonder if thats from their use of antibiotics, Erythromycin will impair the biofilter.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

No the sores haven't grown and they haven't abscessed or ruptured. My nitrate level is high in my tap water.
    I top off the tank when I do water changes with some tap water. Should I try General Cure again for proper dosage.

Hi,
    How long did you use each antibiotic?

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Just a couple of days

Since you did a few days I would start again with the Erythromycin and go at least 7 days.. dose daily after large water changes.. monitor your ammonia and nitrite daily you may have to increase water changes.

I would also add 1 tablespoon salt per 10 gals water as you definitely have a nitrite spike going on and the salt will block that nitrite from causing brown blood disease.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com