ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Future is????????????

Default Re: The Future is????????????

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    On a more optimistic note...There are more people who care posting more often than when Al first started this thread.
    Liz is correct here and nothing makes me more happy than seeing members posting and participating.It gives meaning and life to the forum and is critical for our future. WE have had alot of great threads and discussions recently. We also fixed our email system which has helped with new members being able to easily join. All in all I think we are leagues ahead of where we were just a short while ago.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thank you Sabrina! We are committed to upgrading the software here and will hopefully do that soon. Its abit of a time investment on my part but we will make it work once we figure out what we go with for software. I like your idea of fundraising and maybe we give that a try once we can tell everyone exactly what we plan on doing.Helps is always welcome!

al
    Excellent Al, sounds great! Keep us in the loop, maybe once its all sorted send out emails to all members about the upgrade to the site and any fund raising details perhaps
    For the LOVE of Discus!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I hope SD continues a long time! Before it, I had thought for many years that I could not have Discus because of my hard, high ph tapwater. How good it was to find out I had been wrong. Have been keeping Discus since about 2005 when I found out otherwise, HERE! I have learned so much at SD and made many friends too, a real bonus. Please excuse my recent absence.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyle

Al, As someone who has had Youtube at his disposal since it came out I can say this with confidence: I was overwhelmed. All the opinions and information and views all varying from the last if not slightly then drastically. Even today I'm seeing "Skip water changes forever" all over youtube. This forum provides a sense of comfort in the sense of cases and points.

As you mentioned above, you can go back and look and see what worked for certain individuals in different situations. This forum is always going to hold a place of resource for me just for the sheer amount of personalized information available at a few clicks. You can go one step further and do what I'm attempting to do and put your recordings out there for others to see what and how. This gives people all of the information for your unique situation and allows the information to be much more personal in regards to your tanks. Especially such a niche culture as this one.

I cannot speak to others taking this effort upon themselves but the ability to get such personable information is one reason that I believe this forum will continue for years to come.

As a matter of fact I'd like to take the time to show my appreciation for maintaining such a well run forum for all these years: The effort will never go unnoticed.

Hope to one day be a part of all the functions and meet and greets but for now I offer my words as my introduction,
    Kyle
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Those who don't know must learn from those that do. " - Plato

Kyle, a donation to the forum always helps and also shows your appreciation for what we offer here.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Kyle, a donation to the forum always helps and also shows your appreciation for what we offer here.
    I definitely plan on donating, gotta save my pennies though. I managed to get something together to help Brian out but want to help the forum itself as well.
    You guys have been a sort of home away from home for me and I want to give back, for now I can offer my traffic to the site and patronage.
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Those who don't know must learn from those that do. " - Plato

That's good enough, Kyle. Thank you for what you do. I know that Brian thanks you, as well. Because of few spare pennies to spare I have yet to be able to even help him. but like you, I do what I can here for now.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I joined SD several years ago when I first was exploring setting up a discus aquarium. I only have a few posts here but have come back to read and learn numerous times over the years as the “discus bug” has never left me. Being in a position now to explore discus again, I am grateful for the resources available here and hope to become more active on the forum. I’d love to get to know other members and even support a fellow hobbyist breeder by purchasing my first discus.

Welcome back B&FGuy21. We're all looking forward to read and see what your plans are. What kind of tank or tanks are you planning? Where will they be in the house? We enjoy watching someone starting anew or starting after a long absence. It's great fun to read about someone's adventure.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank you, happy to be back! The tank is a 48”x18”x24” Marineland 90 gallon with 31 gallon sump. It previously housed my high tech planted tank. I will be completely re-scraping the tank for the Discus. May keep some Java Fern and Anubias to attach to driftwood and maybe a potted valisneria or crypt. It is located in my basement fishroom which also serves as a pseudo living room. In the planning stages now and getting inspiration for aquascape! I will be creating a journal to document my progress (and ask questions too!).

I am looking forward to following your progress! I’ll tell what I miss about the forum, pictures! There used to be so many pictures of beautiful discus every day.

Registered Member

Thank you! I’m looking forward to sharing. I’ve been combing through the site for inspiration as well as checking out the sponsors discus for sale. I’ll be starting a journal soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Gurule View Post
    I am looking forward to following your progress! I’ll tell what I miss about the forum, pictures! There used to be so many pictures of beautiful discus every day.
    I too wish people would post more of their fish pics, but sadly they don't. I think its just easier to be a consumer of social media where there are professional sellers and breeders posting videos that are accessible at a click than be a producer of content. There is has also been a trend that even when someone does post pics, they get few replies... lost of reads, but no replies..which sends a message the pics are either not good, or the fish are not good or the membership really couldn't be bothered. These things then discourage future posting. I do believe its also tied to social media overload. What used to be a novelty (posting pics) is now commonplace to the point people are numb to it. Add to it the increased use and consumption of video media... pics just don't really matter as much to alot of people. All strictly conjecture on my point, of course.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by B&FGuy21 View Post
    Thank you, happy to be back! The tank is a 48”x18”x24” Marineland 90 gallon with 31 gallon sump. It previously housed my high tech planted tank. I will be completely re-scraping the tank for the Discus. May keep some Java Fern and Anubias to attach to driftwood and maybe a potted valisneria or crypt. It is located in my basement fishroom which also serves as a pseudo living room. In the planning stages now and getting inspiration for aquascape! I will be creating a journal to document my progress (and ask questions too!).
    Welcome Back!

I am looking forward to reading that journal thread! and your questions!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234