ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Future is????????????

Registered Member

Default Re: The Future is????????????

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Good point, Jay. And thanks for the plug.
    Well Liz you did pay me 50$ plus 10% of your sales for the plug. LOL
    Jay

liar liar pants on fire
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

liar liar pants on fire
    Now, that is funny.
    Jay

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Hi Al,
    Whilst I have been missing in action for many years, It's always nice to come back to the forum! It feels like an old friend.
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren's Discus View Post
    Hi Al,
    Whilst I have been missing in action for many years, It's always nice to come back to the forum! It feels like an old friend.
    Im glad Darren, Its always great when I see members like you checking in. Nice to see you here again my friend.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I love Discus. Had 'Pete's Skany Basement O' Fish' for a while in Upstate NY and Simply was where I got all of my information. However, once we adopted the 'Most of the time in Mexico and sometimes in the USA' lifestyle, it became very challenging to keep fish at all. I was limited to collecting wilds and releasing them. Fast forward 14 years, Covid, as well as a series of accidents/surgeries, grounded us and forced us to remain in the USA for 30+ months. Guess what? I constructed the whole fully automated 'Sonoran Desert Fish Nook' in my homeoffice in Southern Arizona. I also joined and continue to serve on the board of the Desert Aquarist Society (desertaquaristsociety.org, basically the Tucson Fish Club .. sign-up for the monthly newsletter... I serve as the editor.. LOL ) That re-engagement in the hobby saw me return to 3 of my favorite forums from the past: SimplyDiscus.com, PlantedTank.net, and BarrReport.com.

Now, as of Nov 2022, we are back to more of a '50/50 Mex/USA' lifestyle. Therefore, the Fish Nook has been replaced by a setup that handles our travels. It's a 40 breeder in our home in Arizona and a 90P in our residence in Sonora. Fish, shrimp, plants, and some equiment (UV Ster, RO Unit, Doser, DIY Fish controller) move back and forth every 6 months. I acquired another 90P and that will replace the 40breeder in AZ.. So the capacities will match in each location. Presently, I'm stateside and working to improve the transportability of the flora/fauna and the equipment.

So, what does that have to do with simplydiscus.com and forum participation? Well, I'm toying around with the idea of keeping 4-6 Symphysodon Aequifasciatus (Curipera) Discus or 4-6 Pterophyllum Altum (Orinoco) Anglefish. Just need to see what I can do with 50 gallons of water (40 gallon nominal tank volume when substracting out substrate and hardscape displacement + 10 gallons that would be in the sump) and the aforementioned transporting. I'll need to give these twin setups a name and start blogging about the effort. Funny, when I was documenting the Fish Nook, I got far more interest here on simplydiscus.com than I did on plantedtank.net, despite the whole setup featuring only planted aquariums with no discus! I always come back to SimplyDiscus.com , but I'll make it a point to log-in each time instead of visiting as a guest.

Thanks for reminding of us that the Simply Discus Discussion Forum is a real gem!
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    I love Discus. Had 'Pete's Skany Basement O' Fish' for a while in Upstate NY and Simply was where I got all of my information. However, once we adopted the 'Most of the time in Mexico and sometimes in the USA' lifestyle, it became very challenging to keep fish at all. I was limited to collecting wilds and releasing them. Fast forward 14 years, Covid, as well as a series of accidents/surgeries, grounded us and forced us to remain in the USA for 30+ months. Guess what? I constructed the whole fully automated 'Sonoran Desert Fish Nook' in my homeoffice in Southern Arizona. I also joined and continue to serve on the board of the Desert Aquarist Society (desertaquaristsociety.org, basically the Tucson Fish Club .. sign-up for the monthly newsletter... I serve as the editor.. LOL ) That re-engagement in the hobby saw me return to 3 of my favorite forums from the past: SimplyDiscus.com, PlantedTank.net, and BarrReport.com.

Now, as of Nov 2022, we are back to more of a '50/50 Mex/USA' lifestyle. Therefore, the Fish Nook has been replaced by a setup that handles our travels. It's a 40 breeder in our home in Arizona and a 90P in our residence in Sonora. Fish, shrimp, plants, and some equiment (UV Ster, RO Unit, Doser, DIY Fish controller) move back and forth every 6 months. I acquired another 90P and that will replace the 40breeder in AZ.. So the capacities will match in each location. Presently, I'm stateside and working to improve the transportability of the flora/fauna and the equipment.

So, what does that have to do with simplydiscus.com and forum participation? Well, I'm toying around with the idea of keeping 4-6 Symphysodon Aequifasciatus (Curipera) Discus or 4-6 Pterophyllum Altum (Orinoco) Anglefish. Just need to see what I can do with 50 gallons of water (40 gallon nominal tank volume when substracting out substrate and hardscape displacement + 10 gallons that would be in the sump) and the aforementioned transporting. I'll need to give these twin setups a name and start blogging about the effort. Funny, when I was documenting the Fish Nook, I got far more interest here on simplydiscus.com than I did on plantedtank.net, despite the whole setup featuring only planted aquariums with no discus! I always come back to SimplyDiscus.com , but I'll make it a point to log-in each time instead of visiting as a guest.

Thanks for reminding of us that the Simply Discus Discussion Forum is a real gem!
    Peter Thank you and good to hear from you! I like that idea you have of the discus and angels set up.. I'm going to be looking for that write up! My wife and I have toyed with Rv -ing it in our latter years... only thing holding me back is my Discus.

take care,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Peter

Actually Al, I got thinking about one small thing that would help the site... Increase the TTL on the sign-in. (Time to Live).. That's the amount of time that elapses before the site signs you back off. If it could stay for at least 24hours, that would be good... Folks would be more inclined to contribute if there wasn't the need to re-sign in every few hours or so. Just an idea.
    Peter

learning never stops

I never sign out. Why bother? I'm here all the time.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

I never sign out. Why bother? I'm here all the time.
    I don't sign out either. I get automatically signed out after about 2 hours. Might be different settings for you being a Moderator?
    Peter

learning never stops

No. It's always been that way. I leave the tab up. Do you?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

Yes I do. If I don't close the Tab, it will still log me out after a few hours of non-use. It's always been that way for me on Simply, regardless of the browser used.
    Peter

learning never stops

I wonder what the boss thinks about this?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Before you sign in, do you check the “remember” button which puts a cookie on your computer?

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah I’m nobody and I’m always signed in .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast