ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Future is????????????

Default Re: The Future is????????????

Trust me, Tom. Nobody is a nobody around here these days. You're a diamond to us. You just think you're a lump of coal. Right, Peter?
    Mama Bear

Trust me, Tom. Nobody is a nobody around here these days. You're a diamond to us. You just think you're a lump of coal. Right, Peter?
    Mama Bear

Jay... Al...

It's time for all of us to become crack manufacturers and dealers. Our sponsors are here for a loaded menu & quality... but we need "Operation Make Babies" --> hobbyists do at at least a 1- or 2- time effort for breeding a pair and raising fry to quarter size. Sell cheap as balls with the intent of seeing if we all can grow the number of discus addicts back to a healthy stock (and telling buyers, "If you don't want to suck, get on the SD forum...")

Sounds funny, right? But anyone else have a good idea?

This forum is the only forum I participate/indulge in. It's a huge bucket of valuable lessons learned that must stay. Time to become "discus drug dealers". Might take 10-25 buyers of hobbyist bred, quarter sized discus just to get 1 hooked hard enough.
    -Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Before you sign in, do you check the “remember” button which puts a cookie on your computer?
    Franks got it here.. if you check this box you will always be logged in unless you clear yoyr browsers cookies or if you have your browser set to clear cookies at a certain interval.

If. You dont select the box ti be remembered you will get Logged out Peter.. If you do select the box to be remembered and get logged out..its a web
    browser setting .

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Amen.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Jay... Al...

It's time for all of us to become crack manufacturers and dealers. Our sponsors are here for a loaded menu & quality... but we need "Operation Make Babies" --> hobbyists do at at least a 1- or 2- time effort for breeding a pair and raising fry to quarter size. Sell cheap as balls with the intent of seeing if we all can grow the number of discus addicts back to a healthy stock (and telling buyers, "If you don't want to suck, get on the SD forum...")

This forum is the only forum I participate/indulge in. It's a huge bucket of valuable lessons learned that must stay. Time to become "discus drug dealers". Might take 10-25 buyers of hobbyist bred, quarter sized discus just to get 1 hooked hard enough.
    I love the idea... operation " Breed to make Need" works for me! I would love to see tons of homebred discus for sale on the board... i will do my part.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

A new friend of mine told me I was a "nobody" in the Discus community a few months ago.

Al... mine will probably suck... but I'm in

Gary... you can be be somebody to me, big guy <3<3<3
    -Elliot

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

It might be that I don't always remember to select Remember me... and it maybe that my browser deletes cookies when it's closed.. but I didnt' think that applied to individual tabs, but the whole browser.. I'll look deeper into it... funny I've been logged on all day today!

On the breed for the need... I got hooked on Discus by 4 home bred Wattley Turquoise Discus in the Albany NY area that I paid $5 a piece for sometime around 1990. Ed Duncan of Eddies Aquarium got them from a local hobbyist and when I walked into his store one day he told me that I was ready for the next level of fishkeeping and offered those 4 Wattley's for $20. Man time flies...
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Peter, I loooove hearing stories like that. My mother made the mistake of getting me a 2.5 gallon hexagon tank for my room when I was 13. I got a betta and book. Within 3 weeks I had biked 4 miles to the LFS for a female, set up a hidden 10 gallon tank, and watched my first betta fry hatch. By Christmas (5 months later), I had convinced "Santa" for a bigger tank and 4 adult wild green discus with plenty of Herbert Axelrod, Edward Schmidt-Focke, and Bern Degen (sp?)
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Al- as a new member in my early 40’s (not sure if that’s “young”), I think more posts showing people’s tanks and fish would be great. Also, the grow out contests looked like fun too. I must say, have you active again is fantastic. I really like this forum and check in once a week if not more depending on my work schedule. I have so much tank envy and want a 180 like Tom. Do we have tank build sponsors?

Real Name
    Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Jay... Al...

Hahahahaaa, loved reading this Elliot!
    Classic
    For the LOVE of Discus!

Real Name
    Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi all,

I wanted to write up a post here about something that is very important to the future of this forum. Forums today are in decline thanks in part to social media like facebook but also just because consumers of online information have become more and more accustomed to brevity. We text now in broken sentences and emojis and slang. We consume information in "tweets" which are constrained to an arbitrary 280-character limit. We have been conditioned to using the "like" button. Instead of engaging in dialogue, we have been spoon fed content through video services like You-tube and my personal non-favorite, Tiktok. Even the content we consume is curated for us by mega info brokers like Google. I find all this disturbing but it is what it is. That's where we are today, tomorrow will be something else I am sure.

Where then does a forum fit in? Honestly it doesn't. Its a totally different creature. Its a place where you can have a detailed discussion on topics of interest. Its a Place where you can re-visit discussions that happened years ago and pick up where you left off. Its a place where you can search for information and read it, without some power hungry tech firm determining what content you get in your searches based on their ad revenue or marketing goals. Its a place where though you can post pictures and videos, the real value is in the information and discussions. That is why a Forum is called a Discussion Forum.

So whats so important about a discussion forum. Its one of the few places left where you chose the content and you choose the way you express your views. Its a place where you can make a point and link to content or upload content that helps you get your point across. Its also a place where you can discuss differing opinions. A good forum will have rules of etiquette in place that help keep the conversation civil.

The greatest strength and weakness of a forum is in its membership. Members drive the content and dialogue. Depending on how they post and what they post it can determine the direction and tone of the forum. It can also determine how active the forum is and its staying power.Ultimately the forums membership determines if a forum will thrive or will wither away . I know that many people read here daily, I can see the logs. I can't see what members are searching but I can see that they are searching..which is great as that means the forum is meeting one of its goals...the persistence of information and Discussions relative to Discus and aquarium keeping. The problem, though, is because of the things I have presented in this post the flow of information is one way now. Members have largely become consumers. Very little new content has been generated and when members do generate new content, the communities response and participation is lackluster at best. Even pictures of beautiful discus barely generate dialogue. I'm sure that its a complex problem and thereis more to than I have posted here. I am sure there is also information overload because social media has gotten so pervasive in our lives.

So my question is a stark one. "The Future is ?????" Whats the future of this forum and others like it? I honestly don't know. I do know what would make this forum healthier is less apathy and more involvement. I'd really like to see members do more than just read a thread. I would really like to see members post more, share their hobby and interact in discussions. I would really like members that are reading here as guests and not logging in and posting content to realize they are harming the forum's future by doing this. To survive so that the forum is here for them to read, it requires their support and involvement.

So ultimately the forums future is up to all of you. As the forum's owner I will try to drive content and improve the forum. We have several very supportive Team members here too.. Fellow admins Pat, and Brian, Mods Liz and Jake have really kept the forum going for a long time now and we all want that to continue. SimplyDiscus went online in 2002. Thats a really long run for a forum. I would like to see that run continue for years to come... but it won't unless members want that as well.

Thanks for reading,
    Al
    Al, it saddens me to read this post, but at the same time, I feel it needed to be said for all to see and feel appreciation for this forum and its service to the world.
    I'd just like to thank you for providing somewhere for us to go when in times of need with our fish, in times of joy & celebration, what ever the occasion!
    Well done, 21 years strong
    I have already mentioned this site to 1 other discus owner this week in my return here after 4 years away from the hobby, I will continue to guide others here and post as often as I can..
    If we could raise some money to update the server with a fresh look, and easier navigation system perhaps, maybe that would bring more followers..
    We all know how much Discus are worth, so I am sure we could all find a way to chip in and get something happening, perhaps a go fund me or the like?
    Sabrina
    For the LOVE of Discus!

On a more optimistic note...There are more people who care posting more often than when Al first started this thread.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Al, it saddens me to read this post, but at the same time, I feel it needed to be said for all to see and feel appreciation for this forum and its service to the world.
    I'd just like to thank you for providing somewhere for us to go when in times of need with our fish, in times of joy & celebration, what ever the occasion!
    Well done, 21 years strong
    I have already mentioned this site to 1 other discus owner this week in my return here after 4 years away from the hobby, I will continue to guide others here and post as often as I can..
    If we could raise some money to update the server with a fresh look, and easier navigation system perhaps, maybe that would bring more followers..
    We all know how much Discus are worth, so I am sure we could all find a way to chip in and get something happening, perhaps a go fund me or the like?
    Sabrina
    Thank you Sabrina! We are committed to upgrading the software here and will hopefully do that soon. Its abit of a time investment on my part but we will make it work once we figure out what we go with for software. I like your idea of fundraising and maybe we give that a try once we can tell everyone exactly what we plan on doing.Helps is always welcome!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast