AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sponge filter beneficial bacteria

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Sponge filter beneficial bacteria

If there is no power beneficial bacteria inside the media in the canister filter dies slowly as there isn't water flow. In the same way if there is no power for say 5 to 6 hours will the bacteria living inside the sponge filters die or would it be alive as it is surrounded by more open aquarium water which has more oxygen
    Last edited by ganesan; 05-18-2023 at 08:22 AM.

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Sponge filter beneficial bacteria

You've pretty much answered your own question. In a canister filter (or any external/powered filter), you begin to deplete oxygen quickly as the bacteria begin to consume it without a way for it to be replenished. An air powered sponge filter is a little different since they're typically contained inside of an aquarium where the sheer volume of water helps keep everything oxygenated. For extended power outages, you still risk killing off BB due to lack of oxygen in both scenarios, but in the external/canister vs. sponge filter, the sponge filter likely wins out. With media in the aquarium, they will benefit from emergency intervention such as adding a battery powered airstone to help with oxygenation - the same would be difficult with a canister filter. Whenever I've had external filters/canister filters and had a power outage that looked like it was going to last more than an hour or so, I've always tried to move the media to the aquarium rather than leave it in a more confined space.

Quote Originally Posted by ganesan View Post
    If there is no power beneficial bacteria inside the media in the canister filter dies slowly as there isn't water flow. In the same way if there is no power for say 5 to 6 hours will the bacteria living inside the sponge filters die or would it be alive as it is surrounded by more open aquarium water which has more oxygen
    Basically what Jake said is what I would answer here as well as its spot on. I will add that if you have sponge filters and loose power, a good indicator that your sponge filters good bacteria is still alive is if the fish are still alive. Generally as long as there is enough oxygen in the water for the fish, there will be enough oxygen in the sponge to keep the biofiter in a sponge going. You can also easily suppliment that by removing the sponge from the tank and returning it.

I would suggest though that if power outages are common where you are , invest in a small invert generator or good battery operated air pump. They sell these for bait buckets that run off size D batteries, which are okay but I really like the ones that use 12 v batteries

like this,,,

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hlight=battery

theres also a good discussion here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lk-Generators/

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Thanks for this reply it has cleared my doubts

Real Name
    Tom

But in a 5-6 hr power outage you should be fine. Bacteria in either filter system will live. It’s going to take a few days to kill off all the bacteria in a canister and longer in an hob.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    But in a 5-6 hr power outage you should be fine. Bacteria in either filter system will live. It’s going to take a few days to kill off all the bacteria in a canister and longer in an hob.
    Tom, I have to disagree... a canister filters biofilter will start to die in hours from lack of oxygen and trapped metabolic wastes.. As the oxygen levels drop aerobic bacteria die off and get replaced by anaerobic ones. A canister filter needs to have water flowing through it to support a biofilter.. die off happens in hours definitely not days.

The internet is full of contradictions on this topic.. some cite that their filters are off for hours and they have no issues.. does that mean there was no ammonia or nitrite spike? Saying they had no issues does not prove or disprove whether bacteria start to die in hours or days.. it just means someones tank survived the event. The bacteria we rely on in our tanks require oyxgen..There is no oxygen flowing through a canister thats without power.
    Another factor not even considered by most is each canister will have different degrees of organic waste trapped and decomposing... with no oxygen that is going to be anaerobic decomposition. Same process thats killed many fish when deep substrate beds go anaerobic and are disturbed.

I think its best to have back up power supplies if you rely on canisters.. or remove the media from the canister and keep it wet with aquarium water thats oxygenated. Those two methods will largely negate the strong possibility that no flow through the canister can really stress out or killyour fish when the power comes on.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-19-2023 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added comments

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Yes lots of contradicting info. Lots of different types of water being used across the board. No expert here. I’ve always took at canister filter as an oxygen free filter. Much less oxygen flowing through it. The input is pulling from the bottom of the tank and flowing into a dark canister. Always thought canister filters were your best source of anaerobic bacteria. Nitrate eating bacteria. Most people who use these filters clean them at best every 3 months. Most are full of sponge or porous rocks. Great places for anaerobic bacteria to grow. Just me but I’ve always thought there were different type of the same bacteria. Some that lived and grew in oxygen depleted areas and others the grew in rich oxygen areas like wet/dry filters. Where water is constantly flow through the air. For me I’ve never had a problem with a forgotten unplugged filter. I’d just plug it back in and change the water the next day. Again different strokes for different folks .

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes lots of contradicting info. Lots of different types of water being used across the board. No expert here. I’ve always took at canister filter as an oxygen free filter. Much less oxygen flowing through it. The input is pulling from the bottom of the tank and flowing into a dark canister. Always thought canister filters were your best source of anaerobic bacteria. Nitrate eating bacteria. Most people who use these filters clean them at best every 3 months. Most are full of sponge or porous rocks. Great places for anaerobic bacteria to grow. Just me but I’ve always thought there were different type of the same bacteria. Some that lived and grew in oxygen depleted areas and others the grew in rich oxygen areas like wet/dry filters. Where water is constantly flow through the air. For me I’ve never had a problem with a forgotten unplugged filter. I’d just plug it back in and change the water the next day. Again different strokes for different folks .
    Tom, People definitely will have different experiences and that does cloud the discussion abit. Canister filters are not anaerobic filtration though.. you may have pockets of anaerobic bacteria but its designed to house aerobic bacteria. Thats whats cycling your tank.. taking ammonia and turning it nitrite and then to nitrates. These bacterias require substrate to thrive thats bathed in oxygenated water.
    If a canister was anaerobic hobbyists tanks would crash from ammonia and nitrite spikes unless they used other filtration media.

Hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com