AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: air Bnb for snakes

Default air Bnb for snakes

I'm Going to have to start a new business, I'm thinking of an air BnB catering to snakes, Last year I had garter snakes take up residence

Peek a boo by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

This year we have a pair of Northern water snakes that rented the wood pile for an over night .

Northern watersnake (Nerodia sipedon) by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

I took the tarp off my wood pile this morning and there they were coiled up after last nights freeze.... they off course slithered off and then 5 minutes latter they popped out of the woodpile together.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: air Bnb for snakes

Good luck turning it into a business. The photos are sure cool, though.
    Mama Bear

Lol.. well I have at least figured out where all the other critters have gone in my pond and who owned the snakeskins I found over the winter in my wood pile.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Those watersnakes turned the air bnb into a honeymoon suite lol. Great pics Al I love snakes.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Those watersnakes turned the air bnb into a honeymoon suite lol. Great pics Al I love snakes.
    Pat
    Took the words right out of my mouth Pat! Really cool pictures you've shared Al.

Registered Member

You know Al, those boys can be nasty, sow watch your fingers when you are getting wood for the stove.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    You know Al, those boys can be nasty, sow watch your fingers when you are getting wood for the stove.
    Jay
    Absolutely Jay! I have had a few run ins with water snakes. I have a bad habit of trying to pick up wild snakes. Water snakes do bite and leave you in a bad way.. lots of tiny sharp teeth and anti-coagulating saliva means the bites are bloody. Its one of the only CT snakes I wont handle.. the others being copperheads and rattlers.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I've seen copperheads in my burn pile. Most men down here kill them. I'm not about to risk that! Once I get over being startled, I back up a bit, admire it's beauty then turn around and walk back to where I came from.

The first time I saw one was years ago at the vet hospital where I had my grooming business. It was so still and so beautiful I thought it was artificial that someone was playing a joke. I almost stepped on it for fun, then thought better of it. I told the business owners about it and one of the guys killed it. Kind of a shame, really. I understand they eat rodents. Wherever there is animal feed there will be rodents scarfing up whatever is spiled.
    Mama Bear

I came across a Cottonmouth in the Everglades once when I was bird watching on a Hammock ( raised "island of dirt" in a wet land) Nothing quite like being knee deep in water in the middle of no-where and having a poisonous snake swimming right at you. Cottonmouths can be aggressive. It would not have ended well for me had I been bit. I really was no where near anything and theres only one main road in the Everglades.This was pre smart phone days. I count my blessings that it decided to veer off in another direction. I'm not sure I would have been able to outrun its swimming so I think I probably would have just froze and prayed.

As for copperheads, they are fairly common in CT, I have seen a bunch of them.They are very shy.. your southern copperheads tend to be more aggressive. I wonder if its because of the heat and seasonal differences

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-19-2023 at 02:46 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

These two water snakes are still hanging around here. They use the wood pile as their base of operations. Whats really unusual though is they have stayed together. Thats something that just doesnt happen with snakes. Snakes are solitary animals. They come together for mating and then go their separate ways. Multiple times now I have seen these two together. Its a first for me to witness. Im wondering if they will stay together all summer. Im pretty sure at least one over wintered in the woodpile under my deck as I found a lot of snakeskins there.

20230527_092317.jpg

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Interesting.
    Mama Bear