ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Seeding sponge filters and lava rocks and fine sand

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Seeding sponge filters and lava rocks and fine sand

Currently I have a 5x2x2 bb aquarium running on one canister filter and one large sponge filter with an airstone. The bioload is very less about 8 tetras, 4 botia loaches, 1 pleco. It has been standing for over 8 months .I was thinking of soon giving away all the fish and having a discus aquarium with few sterbai and panda corydoras and few small geophagus. Now before that I was thinking of getting few different size lava rocks and driftwood and sponge filter another 3 or so and add fine river about 3mm to 5mm all over the bottom. Maybe I would tie some java moss to driftwood and run the sponge filters full speed I have an RS 17000. I expect beneficial bacteria growth on sand,driftwood and lava rocks after about 45 days. I plan to keep about 9 discus all sane strain medium sized and a dozen sterbai and a couple of geophagus. I would also keep an egg tray on top and have some aquaponic plants.i guess after about 45 days bb would have grown on lava rocks, driftwood and new sponge filters. Is it necessary to get starters like seachem bacteria or api quick start. Thinking of setting a small k1 media filter in one corner of the aquarium using a glass sheet cut neatly and stick in on the inside one corner fill it up with media and through a small gap at the bottom about 5mm I will push an airtube with an airtime to push k1 media around. Hope it works out.
    Last edited by ganesan; 05-21-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Default Re: Seeding sponge filters and lava rocks and fine sand

Is it necessary to get starters like seachem bacteria or api quick start
    I Don't think its necessary.. your tank unless you bleach it and start over is going to have beneficial bacteria already in it.. It may take some time for.the bacteria to catch up with yout fish load but you can always rely on water changes and chemicals like prime until it does.

Hth
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Re: Seeding sponge filters and lava rocks and fine sand

Thanks for the reply yes I think patience helps in just doing WC and waiting.