ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PP bath and deworming

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default PP bath and deworming

I hear that discus fish has to be dewormed once every 45 to 60 days approximately and also be given a potassium permonganate bath for external infections whether they show any symptoms or not. I thought that at least internal infections are due to feeding live worms and if that's true why deworming is necessary once every two months. If suppose you are feeding discus fish only with dry foods is it still necessary to deworm them once every 2 months for 8 to 10 days.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: PP bath and deworming

IMO Once you deworm a fish in quarantine, the only way it is going to encounter re-infection is by another infected fish or feeding contaminated live food. Assuming all your stock has been dewormed prior to introducing them into your main tank, the chance of them becoming re-infected is very unlikely. Companies that suggest worming every month are just targeting repeat sales because worms don't spontaneously appear out of nowhere.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    IMO Once you deworm a fish in quarantine, the only way it is going to encounter re-infection is by another infected fish or feeding contaminated live food. Assuming all your stock has been dewormed prior to introducing them into your main tank, the chance of them becoming re-infected is very unlikely. Companies that suggest worming every month are just targeting repeat sales because worms don't spontaneously appear out of nowhere.
    Agree 1000000 % ...with Francis here on the deworming.

also be given a potassium permonganate bath for external infections whether they show any symptoms or not
    This is utter nonsense. Are discus so weak that they need to be dipped in caustic chemicals regularly to keep them healthy? Of course not! Honestly, if someone has discus that needs to be treated with pp regularly they should take a closer look at their husbandry or their water source... Treating with pp regularly isnt curing anything.. its masking a larger problem until someone can offload the discus to someone else, Imo. I highly advise anyone being told to follow this practice to ignore it and look elsewhere for your fish.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Thanks now I am clear never need deworming once they are dewormed.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Thanks I was in a doubt actually now it's clear. I think pp bath is too harsh for any fish

Quote Originally Posted by ganesan View Post
    Thanks I was in a doubt actually now it's clear. I think pp bath is too harsh for any fish
    Im glad that you understand the danger with potassium permanganate being used repeatedly and indescriminately. It really worries me just how prevalent this bad advice has become. Sadly there are others as well.. using antibiotics regularly on your fish, metronidazole at many many times the necessary dose, Using the dewormer levamisole at very high and unnecessary doses. It seems to me this bad advice goes viral the minute its mentioned in a facebook group or You Tube video. Then the tip is passed around more..

"Tommy at Ikeepdiscusfish.com says to use pp daily for 15 minute just prior to feeding because it boosts their appetite.". Next thing you know people are doing this anytime they search how to get a non-eating discus to start eating. Another bad piece of advice just went viral.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Al it’s all over Facebook discus sites! You’d think pp is the gentlest med to use and cures everything! Some where right now some discus keeper is bathing in it !! . And tell them different and they come after ya! YouTube fish advice also needs to be ignored! Only thing I watch there is Roland’s tank . Just a shame nobody wants to join forums! It’s amazing how many Facebook discus keepers don’t know the basics of fishkeeping. Don’t understand what happens when cycling a tank. Many don’t know about cycling and are adding 3-6 different (buy me) substances to there tanks. Mela-fix,perma fix,need a fix, ammo-lock,amazing ammo crystals….. than there asking what’s wrong with my fish .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

PP can kill your discus quick if not done properly. I had a sick blue tiger turq that I adored and exhaustive every treatment I could think of, and then finally tried PP. My discus didn't die but it didn't ultimately cure him. In any event, I used to think de worming every 3 months was a thing- I never did it, but I also dewormed while in QT and I don't feed live foods that could transmit worms. Good luck.

My discus meds are pure metro, flubendazole, prazi, and PP (only used once). I have some left over API gen cure and fin rot, but I won't buy them again.

I almost never treat with PP but I did about a week ago, It did the fish good. I consider my husbandry exceptional, but once in a very long time, when my eyes tell me that something is wrong so I treat. I actually think that I'd decided to do it a couple of days after I posted about it in the disease section. I got advice but nothing I didn't already know.

The moral of the story is, the fish tell you how they're doing if you spend time watching them.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I almost never treat with PP but I did about a week ago, It did the fish good. I consider my husbandry exceptional, but once in a very long time, when my eyes tell me that something is wrong so I treat. I actually think that I'd decided to do it a couple of days after I posted about it in the disease section. I got advice but nothing I didn't already know.

The moral of the story is, the fish tell you how they're doing if you spend time watching them.

Sometimes lobbing a grenade works.. sometimes it doesnt... What I do know is if you throw the grenade enough times or aren't really careful you stand a good chance of killing more than your target.

Not saying your use of Pp was a bad call.. you know your fish better than anyone... just going on record again that I think its an overused misused oxidizer.

As a side note its wonderful as a fire starter for survivalists.. its in my field bag the pp crystals burn like crazy when mixed with organic material mixing it with glycerol is particularly entertaining.
    ( check out the videos in the links under "gallery"..).simple sugar with Pp crystals also burns very well.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-02-2023 at 08:07 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com