ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Speaking of vacations .. Gettysburg and Philadelphia?

Default Speaking of vacations .. Gettysburg and Philadelphia?

We were planning a family vacation for this summer that went through a series of unfortunate events that led to cancellations. First we going to go back to Canada again as its close for a drive and we really enjoy our times there..its an anniversary trip. Well we didnt realize that of our 5 passports all gotten at the sametime, my sons expired this year becaise he was under 18 when we got them. Even with rush service theres no way the passport would get here.. total bummer.

So we next decided to go to Puerto Rico. Never been there. Beaches and San Juan, and rainforests ... whats not to love. Well turns out the price tag.. Just not in the budget after we adding up our vacation plan for Puerto Rico.. Still coming off the pandemic here and its just not a good time for this trip... Maybe next year.

So we settled on another option. Planning a trip to Gettysburg and Philadelphia. Never been and my family is full of nerds and teachers..we love historical places and museums as much as National Parks and wild life refuge. So the 5 of us decided to go there.. its a short drive of 4 -6 hours and not expensve at all.. Looking forward to it.

Plan on spending a few days in Gettysburg then going to Philadelphia...hit up the battlefields, museums, ride some old trains, hit the zoo and find a few natural places nearby for wildlife pics.

Anybody have some recommendations of things to see or do? Or not do?

Thanks,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-25-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Speaking of vacations .. Gettysburg and Philadelphia?

I haven't been to either place but hope you guys have a killer time
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Pat.Im hoping to get some good scenery pics at Gettysburg.. Ive got this idea in my head to convert a bunch of pics to sepia tone for an aged effect. Theres a really neat program at one of the train stations where you use vr gear to go back in time and see a period persons life. It just sounds like a really interesting program. Im also looking forward to checking out the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum..just outside Philly and the philly zoo... fun stuff all around.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I've been to Philiadelphia / Gettysburg about 4 times in my life... It's probably been over 20 years since the last time (Alan Iverson was still playing basketball).
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Matt

Gettysburg is one of the coolest places I've been in the US Al. I went when I was a lot younger so I can't help with exactly what to see or do, but I remember doing all the battlefield tours and seeing the points of interest from those battles. Quite literally walking on history's footprints. It's a place that I had goosebumps multiple times for no reasons, like you were constantly walking amongst ghosts, very very eerie place. Gives me some chills thinking about it. They do also have ghost tours if that is your thing. Those mornings when its a little cool and the fog rolls through sticking close to the ground is magnificent. Beautiful part of the country, ironic because of such an ugly battle that took place there.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Willie

We lived in Philly for 10 years, albeit between 1985 - 1995, and have visited 4 - 5 times since to see old friends. We moved there as DINKs, then with young children, so these are the watch outs for my commentary.

Philly has great American history, from Independence Hall to various Ben Franklin locations. You get the see the actual building, the little park where they did most of the negotiating, the actual hallways for side discussions and the actual furnishing (unlike the replica at Knott's Berry Farm). The Art Museum, where Rocky ran up the steps, is also worthwhile. The Liberty Bell is greatly over-rated since all the security procedures put in after 9/11. Check out Second Street in the afternoons and evenings for street shows and hipster eats. It's also within walking distance of the Italian Market (where Rocky went running and people threw fruit at him).

The other great part of Philly is the food. No, not cheese steaks. Philadelphia gets great seafood from the Chesapeake Bay. Lots of humble (cheap) restaurants around town that serves blue point crabs, lobsters, clams, etc. as fresh as can be. Another highlight is Reading Terminal, which Union Station in Washington, DC copied. A food hall with authentic restaurants from everywhere. You'll find an incredibly authentic Vietnamese restaurant shoehorned next to a stand where young Mennonite girls are making pretzels by hand. There's good red sauce Italian also, but you can find those in most older cities. Seafood and Reading Terminal are my priorities.

Philadelphia was a fairly dangerous city back in 1995 and it has not gotten much better. I'd recommend you find a hotel on the Jersey side, perhaps Cherry Hill, and drive into the city. It'll be safer, cheaper and just as far.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I'm from Philadelphia, moved away for college and returned for 8 years and left again.

1) Philly Art museum- its the gem of the city. Every tourist and there mother takes a picture by the rocky statue and run's the art museum steps...
    2) The reading terminal market- you can find just about any food there, from Peking Duck, traditional cheese steak, but my recommendation is to get a roasted pork sandwich with broccoli rob. If you get there for brunch, get an Amish breakfast there. If you like beef jerky, the amish have a stand in there where they sell homemade jerky, but they aren't there on Sundays.
    3) The best cannolis I ever had is from Termini brothers. The original shop is South Philly and it has a bunch of antique baking cookware, pictures of celebrities that visited- I swear it's like being transported back in time to the 1950's. There is also a store in the Reading Terminal if you want just the cannolis but not the original store experience.
    4) Take a walk along Penn's Landing which includes the Delaware River Waterfront.
    5) History: Independence Hall, the liberty bell, constitution center- I took it for granted when I lived there. I haven't been in a while and I think security became really tight post 9/11 so plan in advance.
    6) Italian Market: The best tamales in philadelphia are at 9th and Washington Ave across the street from Giordano's. It's mexican grocery but on weekends they make fresh tamales that are done by 11-12AM. Also a must while in the Italian market, there's a cheese shop I love- Di Bruno Bros. The original store is in the Italian market and I never really liked cheese until I went there. You can sample the most exquisite cheeses but not in a pretentious way- it's S. Philly. They get packed on the weekends so get there early or go during the week. If you and your family are into cooking, also in the Italian market there's Fante's. A chef/home cook's dream.
    7) If you have time, check out Manayunk/Fish town. There are lots of hip and really nice places to eat. Stay away from North philly. Nothing to see in the Northeast either.
    8)If you are into seeing a show that isn't Broadway but very nice, check out the Philly Theatre district.
    9)If you want to casually stroll around, Penn's campus is quite nice located in West Philly.
    10) Not sure how old your kids are, Al, but I can recommend fun family stuff too. The NJ aquarium is right across the Delaware River. I usually never recommend anything in Jersey, but if that's your thing it's pretty nice. The Philly Zoo is awesome. Better than San Diego, Denver, Pittsburgh etc... I'm not a huge fan of zoos but my kids loved it. There are nice large playgrounds in Fairmount Park - Smith Memorial, I used to take my kids there when they were young.

Happy to provide more suggestions based on your interests...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Gettysburg is one of the coolest places I've been in the US Al. I went when I was a lot younger so I can't help with exactly what to see or do, but I remember doing all the battlefield tours and seeing the points of interest from those battles. Quite literally walking on history's footprints. It's a place that I had goosebumps multiple times for no reasons, like you were constantly walking amongst ghosts, very very eerie place. Gives me some chills thinking about it. They do also have ghost tours if that is your thing. Those mornings when its a little cool and the fog rolls through sticking close to the ground is magnificent. Beautiful part of the country, ironic because of such an ugly battle that took place there.
    Matt, Thanks for the info. I forgot about the ghost tours here. Thats right up our alley, we are fans of the Boys, Ryan Bergara, and Shane Madej, and their ghost files show., actually all their shows (watchers network) along with Steven Lim. We plan on visiting the Eastern Penitentiary this trip as well.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    We lived in Philly for 10 years, albeit between 1985 - 1995, and have visited 4 - 5 times since to see old friends. We moved there as DINKs, then with young children, so these are the watch outs for my commentary.

Philly has great American history, from Independence Hall to various Ben Franklin locations. You get the see the actual building, the little park where they did most of the negotiating, the actual hallways for side discussions and the actual furnishing (unlike the replica at Knott's Berry Farm). The Art Museum, where Rocky ran up the steps, is also worthwhile. The Liberty Bell is greatly over-rated since all the security procedures put in after 9/11. Check out Second Street in the afternoons and evenings for street shows and hipster eats. It's also within walking distance of the Italian Market (where Rocky went running and people threw fruit at him).

The other great part of Philly is the food. No, not cheese steaks. Philadelphia gets great seafood from the Chesapeake Bay. Lots of humble (cheap) restaurants around town that serves blue point crabs, lobsters, clams, etc. as fresh as can be. Another highlight is Reading Terminal, which Union Station in Washington, DC copied. A food hall with authentic restaurants from everywhere. You'll find an incredibly authentic Vietnamese restaurant shoehorned next to a stand where young Mennonite girls are making pretzels by hand. There's good red sauce Italian also, but you can find those in most older cities. Seafood and Reading Terminal are my priorities.

Philadelphia was a fairly dangerous city back in 1995 and it has not gotten much better. I'd recommend you find a hotel on the Jersey side, perhaps Cherry Hill, and drive into the city. It'll be safer, cheaper and just as far.
    Willie, Thanks for the information here."Lots of humble (cheap) restaurants around town that serves blue point crabs, lobsters, clams, etc. as fresh as can be. " Thats my kind of fare! I was hoping to sample the Fabled Cheese steak too as its probably as iconic as Rocky.... but I like the suggestion of the Vietnamese restaurant.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Mike, Thanks alot! This is all great info. My "kids" are really only kids to me. Daughter is 22 and son is 20 in a few days. I am very lucky that at their ages that they still do these things with us.

I hadn't realized that Philly was big on Cannolis! I will have to check out that Italian Market as we well. My Mom came from Italy at 12, and my dads parents did as well...so I guess, its in my blood.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    I'm from Philadelphia, moved away for college and returned for 8 years and left again.

1) Philly Art museum- its the gem of the city. Every tourist and there mother takes a picture by the rocky statue and run's the art museum steps...
    2) The reading terminal market- you can find just about any food there, from Peking Duck, traditional cheese steak, but my recommendation is to get a roasted pork sandwich with broccoli rob. If you get there for brunch, get an Amish breakfast there. If you like beef jerky, the amish have a stand in there where they sell homemade jerky, but they aren't there on Sundays.
    3) The best cannolis I ever had is from Termini brothers. The original shop is South Philly and it has a bunch of antique baking cookware, pictures of celebrities that visited- I swear it's like being transported back in time to the 1950's. There is also a store in the Reading Terminal if you want just the cannolis but not the original store experience.
    4) Take a walk along Penn's Landing which includes the Delaware River Waterfront.
    5) History: Independence Hall, the liberty bell, constitution center- I took it for granted when I lived there. I haven't been in a while and I think security became really tight post 9/11 so plan in advance.
    6) Italian Market: The best tamales in philadelphia are at 9th and Washington Ave across the street from Giordano's. It's mexican grocery but on weekends they make fresh tamales that are done by 11-12AM. Also a must while in the Italian market, there's a cheese shop I love- Di Bruno Bros. The original store is in the Italian market and I never really liked cheese until I went there. You can sample the most exquisite cheeses but not in a pretentious way- it's S. Philly. They get packed on the weekends so get there early or go during the week. If you and your family are into cooking, also in the Italian market there's Fante's. A chef/home cook's dream.
    7) If you have time, check out Manayunk/Fish town. There are lots of hip and really nice places to eat. Stay away from North philly. Nothing to see in the Northeast either.
    8)If you are into seeing a show that isn't Broadway but very nice, check out the Philly Theatre district.
    9)If you want to casually stroll around, Penn's campus is quite nice located in West Philly.
    10) Not sure how old your kids are, Al, but I can recommend fun family stuff too. The NJ aquarium is right across the Delaware River. I usually never recommend anything in Jersey, but if that's your thing it's pretty nice. The Philly Zoo is awesome. Better than San Diego, Denver, Pittsburgh etc... I'm not a huge fan of zoos but my kids loved it. There are nice large playgrounds in Fairmount Park - Smith Memorial, I used to take my kids there when they were young.

Happy to provide more suggestions based on your interests...

Mike
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-01-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    ...I hadn't realized that Philly was big on Cannolis!..
    Most people have never even seen fresh canolis. When served fresh, they are not pre-filled in the case. You might see the empty shells on display. If you see beautifully filled canolis on display, those are not fresh.

The Italian bakeries in Philly also have great rum-soaked cakes. Paired with strong coffee, you can spend an afternoon just chilling...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Just back from the Trip everyone, had a really great Trip.. Final agenda was , Great swamp in NJ, Then to Valley Forge for some Revolutionary war history,Next we dropped down to Philadelphia for a few days, then took a steam railroad ride on the Countries oldest continually operating railroad in Ronks,PA. (Strasburg Railroad), Fially rounding up the trip with a few Days in Gettysburg.

Tell you all more latter and of course I will bore you to death with Pics. Right now though I need to get blackworm orders packed and shipped today and my fishes need a water change.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com