ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: The LFS thread...

Default The LFS thread...

Hi all,
    Every so often I like to check on the state of our LFS. Some love them.. some hate them but they play a role in our hobby and in recruiting new blood to the hobby of fish keeping.

This is the first time I have inquired on this subject since covid.

Do you have a Local Fish Store in your area? Does that store seem to be doing well? Do they carry discus? How about other more uncommon Fish? Do they have a web presence and ship.(most LFS did not ship prior to the last few years,imo).

Or are you in a LFS desert? Surrounded by chains like petco and petsmart.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: The LFS thread...

Where I'm at, we only have one 'decent' LFS. They do a lot of business, but I've frequented the store less and less for animals and use it more for hardscape supplies and other general supplies. I've never really been impressed with their selection of fish. They sell what I would consider "bread-and-butter" fish that seem to always be popular - danios, various tetras, malawis, mbunas, goldfish, glo-fish, etc. Nothing that I would consider 'specialty' or niche, such as L-number plecos or multis. Live plant selection, last I checked, was limited to easy growers like swords and vals. When I last went in there, they also carried Hans discus (that's how it was labeled, not sure how else I would verify without asking to see shipping labels), but they were not in good shape - thin foreheads, ragged fins, and very overcrowded. I'm not implying Hans sells poor discus, it's much more likely due to poor husbandry and care at the LFS level. They have some saltwater fish as well.

They don't ship and their website is pretty basic without a whole lot of information on their stock list, etc.

If there's anything I ever need specialty wise, I try and make the 3 hour trip to The Reef Aquarium Shop in Indianapolis. It's quite the drive, but they're by far the best shop I have ever been in. Top tier in selection for hardware, hardscape, plants, inverts, fish, etc.

Real Name
    Brian

We actually have several in the KC and surrounding areas that seem to be going strong, although I've only been to a couple because they're across town. One has a very nice selection new and used equipment and has a good supply of salt water fish and frags, as well as your usual supply of fresh water dithers. But, he also has random fish from local breeders. I've sold him a bunch of plecos and he's wanting some discus as well. He'll either pay me cash or in store credit, which is a nice option.

Most of the discus I've seen in the stores in my area are pepper headed freaks that come from local inexperienced breeders. I'm very selective on which store I sell my discus to. They have to agree to a better level of care than their regular fish or they don't get them. I'd rather cull them than see them tossed into a random 77 degree tank and let them die a slow death.

Real Name
    Dave

An hour away is Big River Pets which was formerly Finatics. They did only freshwater, then got into some insects and then reptiles. They now have some saltwater.
    Their tanks are always clean, fish always healthy.

Living in the NE Oregon desert we drive a half hour to a town big enough to have a Safeway and an hour for most other items.... thus it is less expensive time wise to shop online.

I like to buy fish (30.00 shipped to my door) from The Wet Spot in Portland.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

There is 1 LFS in Hattiesburg. I've been doing business with them since 2001 when I started with Discus. We have become like friends over that time. Twee, the female owner, actually did my taxes for me once because I wasn't smart enough to do it myself. (The things I'm good at, I'm very good at, the things I'm bad at I'm equally as bad.) She said that she has the software and it would only take her 10 minutes.

They give me the same price for the fish I take them as they would give the wholesaler, and when I buy stuff, they give it to me at their wholesale price. Twee even gave me bunch of T shirts she got free at a trade show. (I guess I was looking kind of threadbare) One has an ad for some kind of dog treats on the back and it says in big letters [SIZE=5]STINKN' HOT I have to remember to change shirts when I go to town. After all, I'm 72 years old and am a long way from stinkin' hot.

I used to go there every couple of weeks to take fish or just visit. I don't go often now because going to stores is hard on my back. They sometimes carry Discus. They're always around 3" and fully colored lol. They lost some business when 2 chain stores opened down the highway from them. But those chain stores don't have many fish or much fish stuff any more. My local place won out.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-02-2023 at 09:14 AM.
    Mama Bear

I've had some good relationships with a couple of LFS before they went out of business. . One in particular the owner and would sit around my campfire and smoke cigars .. that was a long time ago. He closed his shop and is now a science teacher.

One other shop I would help out.. we had a good arrangement and they bought alot of my angels, discus and Rams... they sold the shop and then another guy bought it..and killed it.

Now we have mostly petcos and petsmarts.. there is one decent lfs about 30 mins from here that has been around forever. I've brought stuff there from time to time. The owner is fair and the tanks are clean. (Slither and Swim)

Theres another LFS thats near me that just expanded.. Hes seems like a good guy and has a strong following. He has been in the hobby years.. I remember when he used to work at another local petshop before owning his own. I have been in once in awhile to buy things.. havent been to his new location yet. (Blakes Aqua Den)
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-02-2023 at 11:09 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

I have compared to most a lot of lfs. Most I wouldn’t recommend and surprised they’re still in business. 1 south shore tropical’s is a nice shop. Good crew working there and an old fashion shop. They’ve got a little of everything. Just bought some geos from them this week. For my community tank I trust their fish to go right into the tank. 85EADBAF-8AE9-41DD-A24B-18CE9F5FDA3B.jpg. They do sell discus but not many buyers. So the fish are in the tanks longer than they should. Best discus though for any beginner keeper. Also have a great plant selection. Something none of the others have.

40+min I’ve got 2 more good shops. Monster in Queens who have a huge selection of different fish. Plenty of different plecos,cichlids, tetras and odd tetras. Flowerhorns and discus. They do get a good selection of discus. But you’ve got to get them when they first come in and must qt them. Like all shops they don’t get new till they sell the old. So it usually only twice a year they get in good discus. Also a great selection of shrimp. The prices are very good across the board.

Other is south river aquarium in Brooklyn. Same as above but not all at once. They bring in different fish at different times. They move many fish! They bring in some quality discus. But they sell out fast. Same as above qt before adding to your tank.

1 LFS (Tideline Aquatics) in the Charleston area. Used to be around 4-5 in 2008. Tideline is probably the best LFS I've experienced (and I've lived in a ton of places). Unfortunately, unsure how much longer they'll last -- hearing rumors of barely making by proffit-wise. Kills me, because I see so much knowledge, experience, and love for the industry there, but my nerdy business brain screams "ADAPT & OVERCOME! STOP HOLDING TIGHT TO THE OLD LFS BUSINESS MODEL!!!!!!" They could be a hybrid combo of LFS/Selective fish breeders/importers/custom tank installers and/or maintaining service as well as ship since they are able to source plenty of uncommon fish.

I swear, if they (once every 18 months) bred 2-3 pairs of discus and raised young to near silver dollar size, then sold them for a loss ($8 per or 5 for $40), they would get 3 out of every 5 buyers hooked. and 1 out of those 3 would be longterm, full-on discus nuts. Make one of their showtanks a discus showtank and with large adults --> that'll drive the buys.

Doesn't have to be discus (or only discus). Mbuna, Apistos, etc.
    -Elliot