ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tank width?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Tank width?

Hi Friends,
    I know there are old threads on this topic. I currently have a 4x2x2 120 gal with close to a 30 gal sump. I found a used glass tank that is 72x18x20, not drilled and has a canister.

For adult discus, is 18” of width ok? Can I setup some kind of overflow system in a tank that’s not drilled? I will google it but wanted to get people’s real life experience with doing something like that. I really love my sump and don’t want to use a FX6 or HOB.

Thanks!
    Mike

Default Re: Tank width?

18" is fine and the 72" is great for a group of adults. Buy it.

I did an overflow with pvc a long time ago. I can't remember how I put it together but it worked great for me.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Think that’s a 125. Good size tank for discus. Many hob overflows available for the tank. Eshopps makes many good ones.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

It’s actually 72x18x28

Real Name
    Jake

They make external HOB style overflow systems. Most are also paired with an air pump, which allows it to regain siphon if power is lost to the pump and it restarts. The only thing that might be a problem is if your tank has a large lip that the overflow can't get around.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumps.../external.html

Real Name
    Tom

Got to say on power lose I’ve never lost suction. The reason they use air pumps is they don’t use a tube. It’s a full flow over. So with a power lose they do lose flow. Just another gimmick. The hose to the sump can only move so much water so the full flow is limited to the size of the down hose. And with this type of overflow you are required to use an air pump. To me a waste of money .

I’d say that’s a 160g tank. On my 125 I use an aqua-link 150 wet dry with a back up internal filter. An odyssea 350. It had a powerhead and 2 sponges. Both sold on eBay. The aqua link is a full system minus the pump. No sump comes with a pump.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I have a LifeReef Pre-Filter overflow filter on the 125-gallon tank running well over 9 years without a problem. Also, I turn the power off to the return pump twice a day for feeding. Highly recommend it if your tank is drilled. https://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

Real Name
    Mervin

28" high would make it more like 150 gal. tank. http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html