ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nothing special but since is being a while

Real Name
    Julian

Default Re: Nothing special but since is being a while

Well is time for an update, so the second batch turn out to have a lots of sliders , short gill plates, and even a sharky dorsal fin missing a chunk, Although about 24 of them after culling when they were 1" quarter size end up with people here in the two fish clubs , North Florida Fish Keepers and Aquarium Club of Jacksonville. The eight of the small first batch are actually doing nice.
    As Five of them are pushing 3~3.5 inches and Three of them on 2~2.5 , They turn out to be a variety of Red Melon or so , they do have a reminisce of a bar at the peduncle of the caudal fin, and a dusty haze of what could be a typical peppering like in many pigeon base fish, the only thing good is at least I know a little bit about their genetic make up as we know male was the Alenquer Cross and female Yellow face Red Melon.234EDBC3-9F45-43EE-943A-1C93C04D49D5.jpeg
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Julian ,
    They are turning out to be some nice melons. Its uncanny how closely they resemble the female even after crossing to a non pigeon. Do you know what the Alenquer X. Had for genetics?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Julian

No Al, I wish . I ask Oscar he couldn't tell me , he had it from Forrest I will try to find out. He is at first sight a plain brown , but when look closely he has some nice subtle reddish specially in his anal fin , and he rarely shows his stress bars ,but in a faint manner. The lack of black halo , makes me suspect that he has a couple of cross from the original wild parents. A throwback maybe He still is one of my favors.
    Last edited by Pardal; 09-12-2023 at 11:45 PM.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Julian ,
    They are turning out to be some nice melons. Its uncanny how closely they resemble the female even after crossing to a non pigeon. Do you know what the Alenquer X. Had for genetics?

Al
    Al, I just find out that the Alenquer X , is made by a cross of Malaysian Red with Alenquer , in addition the Red Ica's X are made by a cross of Malaysian Red with Heckel. No sure what exactly the Malaysian Red are but I 'm sure is a pigeon red base color.

Quote Originally Posted by Pardal View Post
    Al, I just find out that the Alenquer X , is made by a cross of Malaysian Red with Alenquer , in addition the Red Ica's X are made by a cross of Malaysian Red with Heckel. No sure what exactly the Malaysian Red are but I 'm sure is a pigeon red base color.
    Julian, Thats a a great piece of info to have and helps explain the offspring.I am hoping that you end up breeding those siblings to each other..would love to see the fry.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Julian

Yes, I will try to see how that will turn out, lots of possibilities here Al, I also tented to use The proven male Alenquer X , with the Red Ica proven female, as the AlenquerX is a bigger size fish about 6 inches well develop , and the Red Ica's are kind smaller barely 5", since both have a red malaysian in common and a wild side in common will be really interested to see which gene is more powerful the Alenquer or the Heckel or if they come in two 25% different groups and a 50% reds .but all this is once I have obtain at least one batch from the Red Ica's.
    Don't want to count the chicks before they hatch though.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Btw.. we recently dug up an old thread on home bred fish..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...ome-bred-Fish-!!!!!

Please post a few shots there if you get a chance.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123