ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My first Humming Bird

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default My first Humming Bird

So Florida is not known for it's Humming birds and I see them around the house for like two seconds. They are there, then gone lol. I have a firebush tree which the humming birds like. So Zebra Longwing Butterflies do also. The Zebra Longwings are all over the Firebush tree. It's full of blooms. I was photographing the butterflies the other afternoon and a humming bird stopped by like for 30 seconds and I shot these images. Not the best I'll take it lol.
    Pat

First the humming bird

DZ9_4992-Edit.jpg

DZ9_4995-Edit.jpg

DZ9_4996-Edit_1.jpg

and the butterflies

DZ9_5000-Edit.jpg

DZ9_5013-Edit.jpg

DZ9_5024-Edit.jpg
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Default Re: My first Humming Bird

Congrats on the humming bird. The Ruby Throated are very common down here. I didn't get my hummer feeders up this year but I've still seen some on flowers. I have seen those butterflies here, but they are not common. The ones I see the most are the blue swallowtails, in fact it's our State butterfly. Lots of yellow swallowtails, and lots of other's I don't know the names of.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I wish you would come and get some of them from here. My wife goes through at least 50 lbs of sugar every year feeding them. She has four feeders out and fills the small one on the window two or three times a day and the larger ones every other day. She makes a gallon of food for them every other day at the peak of the season.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Congrats on the humming bird. The Ruby Throated are very common down here. I didn't get my hummer feeders up this year but I've still seen some on flowers. I have seen those butterflies here, but they are not common. The ones I see the most are the blue swallowtails, in fact it's our State butterfly. Lots of yellow swallowtails, and lots of other's I don't know the names of.
    Thank you Liz, I tried a humming bird feeder here and I never saw a hummer use it. The Zebra Longwing is the Florida state butterfly. I see them around the house all year long. Most other butterflies are summer visitors.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    I wish you would come and get some of them from here. My wife goes through at least 50 lbs of sugar every year feeding them. She has four feeders out and fills the small one on the window two or three times a day and the larger ones every other day. She makes a gallon of food for them every other day at the peak of the season.
    Wow Gary, sounds like your wife stays pretty busy with the feeders. I have tried feeders here but no one showed up so took them down.
    Pat

Real Name
    Dave

Nicely done Pat.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Nicely done Pat.
    Thank you Dave
    Pat