AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Speaking of Water Quality.... Post Your Results!

Real Name
    Jake

Default Speaking of Water Quality.... Post Your Results!

For those of you who are on municipal (aka city) water, how is the water quality? I was recently notified that our new water quality report was available to view and decided to take a look. Very interesting results. From my experience, the pH out of the tap is usually much lower than what the report is stating.

water quality.png

For comparison, whenever I tested my water straight out of the tap, pH has been a solid 7.8-8.0, and 7.6-7.8 after aging 24 hours and TDS is about 180-200.

What about everyone else? How do your actual results compare to your city's reported results?

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Speaking of Water Quality.... Post Your Results!

Hi, My water starts from lakes at ph 6-6.4 depending on the season. It goes though the treatment plant and comes at 7.4 to prevent acid corrosion of the pipes. From some lakes they remove most of the manganese and iron here; There's even a slight differences between lakes. They add elements like calcium to bring the PH up to7.4. After ageing mine is about 7 ph but looks like a list of other elements found on the periodic table including arsenic, cadmium and many more elements. I would expect yours have a lot more elements than on your list. Every bodies water is a different chemical make up depending on the area you live. Yours is very high in hardness, ph and TDS whereas mine is very soft and could have ph crashes if maintenance neglected. Saying that there are place here with hard water near limestone and gypsum areas. Here on the east coast our rain is even more acidic than the west coast due to the pollutants that come from across the country.

Default Re: Speaking of Water Quality.... Post Your Results!

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    For those of you who are on municipal (aka city) water, how is the water quality? I was recently notified that our new water quality report was available to view and decided to take a look. Very interesting results. From my experience, the pH out of the tap is usually much lower than what the report is stating.

water quality.png

For comparison, whenever I tested my water straight out of the tap, pH has been a solid 7.8-8.0, and 7.6-7.8 after aging 24 hours and TDS is about 180-200.

What about everyone else? How do your actual results compare to your city's reported results?
    Jake, Im not too surprised by your water differing from the report. Often, By law they have to report values but those are just for the water company location... they really are a good reference for things like if they treat with a chemical but not a lot more. For example, I did a short stint back in the late eighties selling water filters. I would go from house to house in my town and offer free water testing in hopes of sellung a water filter made by a company called NSA. I would bring a photo of what chorinated pool water looks like on my test kit.. then test their water to show them how much chlorine was in it.

You could easily see the drop off in chlorine from one end of town to the next.. I had a great reference point as my town is where the reservoir is and my house was literally a mile from the water treatment and distribution plant. Theres were also differences in pH from one end of town to the other.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-29-2023 at 12:56 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images