ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: starting to plan the tanks...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alex

Default starting to plan the tanks...

Hello everyone,

I am starting to plan my discus tanks... So I was thinking about the following:

- 300 or 350 liters (80-90 gallons) main tank (display tank in the living room), will be a bare bone with minimal aquascape [see attached picture from a video I found on youtube that I like a lot]
    - 100 liters (29 gallons) quarantine tank (I need to find a place, probably I will make a custom cabinet, so that smaller tank can be fitted below the main tank unless I can find a cabinet to accomodate the tank properly by default. I know they should be in separate rooms, but I have no alternatives).
    - 75 liters (20 gallons) breeding tank in a different room (unfortunately the 100 liters tank won't fit in this other room unless I can fit both of them inside the cabinet of the main tank, is this possible….)

For breeding/quarantine tank I will use sponge filters with aero-stone and the termostats. I am not sure about the main tank. In theory I am targeting a JUWEL Rio 300 or 350 that comes with an integrated Filter/Thermostat. Not sure how good it is. What do you think?

Not sure about the water, I need to check the parameters of my tap water, but where do you age/warm the tap water for the water changes? I was thinking to buy just plastic tanks (like the one for the fuel and let the water rest inside my shed in the garden (no more space in the house). Would this be doable? Not sure if in winter would be too cold… Of course I will have some system like Python or similar to make water changes easier.

Also not sure how many Discus I can fit inside a 300/350 liters and if I should go with tank mates or not. In theory I like Neon Tetras or Cardinals and bunch of bottom feeders. I have read people suggesting tanks mates and others saying just no.

Any other advice?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: starting to plan the tanks...

Good choice to do bare bottom when starting out. Depending on the size of the discus you get, you maybe want a smaller grow out tank like the 29 gal. I suggest getting adult discus which don’t require as many feedings and daily water changes. Ensure you have meds if you can get them in the country you live- non-iodized salt, metronidazole, praziquantel and flubendazole or levamisole. You need a heater and ideally more than 1 in case one fails. There are many others ways to
    Set yourself up for success. Watch Al’s lecture on discus too. Also, buy quality discus and clean water are the IMO. 2 years into this journey I’m still learning a lot. .

Any updates? Are you going to start a build thread?
    Thank you,
    Sandip
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy...

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Hope your new tanks will do good for you! One thing to remember is that Neons and Cardinals make tasty snacks for Discus, very expensive snacks!

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!