ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Shrimp tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Default Shrimp tank

Thinking about setting up a shrimp tank in my bedroom. Looking for ideas and suggestions on setup and stock..

I don't put discus in my room because of constant water changes and maintenance. They stay in the basement. But i want something to look at and relax. Not sure what size to use maybe just get a 20g? How many shrimp would that support?
    Prefer No heater. one or two sponge. I have some gravel i could use if needed. Would like easy, low light plants. Easy maintenance.
    I already have a 60g and 40g breeder but I think those will be full of discus soon.

Thanks

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Shrimp tank

A 20g is a good size. I prefer 20g long for shrimp. It will support hundreds of shrimp. If you want low maintenance, get neocaridina shrimp (cherry shrimp, bloody marys, blue dreams, etc). They do well in a wide range of water parameters. Caridina shrimp are prettier, but you need soft water and special shrimp substrate for them to thrive. Gravel or sand substate is fine. Low light plants are fine, especially java fern, jave moss and subwassertang. They also like wood. Feed high quality flake food. You can get special shrimp pellets if you like, but it isn't really necessary.
    You probably won't need a heater if the room temp. doesn't get below 68F. Get some good quality shrimp to start with and you will have a tankful of shrimp in no time. There're several good sellers on Aquabid.
    Last edited by smsimcik; 06-27-2023 at 08:33 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

Shrimp are fun! I’ve got 2 shrimp tanks. A 36 with hillstream loaches and a 15. Both have heaters. I keep the temp at 79. Now they don’t need heaters but breed more in the warmer water, next they will survive in discus tanks. I add all my culls to the discus tanks. They are amazing algae eaters!

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can answer some. My favorite tank for shrimp was my 30. A 20 long would be good, too. The shrimp don't need a tank any taller. I like anubias on driftwood, and java fern or dwarf water lettuce floating. I kept neocardina and did have a heater in my tank. Google will tell you the temp the variety of shrimp that you decide on need.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Thanks everyone. Are they easy to care for? Is the nitrogen cycle important like it is with discus?

I had a lot of shrimp in my tank but still only had to do WC once a week. The nitrogen cycle is important for anything that lives in the water. Use a short cut by using a product like Seachem Stability.
    Mama Bear