ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A new Discus adventure 2023

Registered Member

Default Re: A new Discus adventure 2023

I use the Mag pump that Pat mention. The model I use is #7, it can pump 100 feet away, the reason why I didn't buy the larger is because it was a much larger and heavier pump. I do aquarium maintenance for local business so the less weight to carry makes a difference on my back at the end of the day.
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 07-23-2023 at 10:20 PM.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Cliff

Thank you for this information, I am actually going to head to the city today instead as I want to buy the fluke & worm medication and start treatment today. While there, I will go to the hardware store and check if we have this pump here
    in Australia, or at least one similar. They should have the hose and attachments too I would think..
    For the LOVE of Discus!

Real Name
    Sabrina

Good morning all,

I haven't updated for awhile as I have started a new job and things have been hectic.

All discus are doing well, the 5 in the 60g are getting on ok, and the 2 PBs in the 40g have been separated by a fence as 1 had the other pinned in the corner & wouldn't allow it out to eat
    I am unsure what I will do with those 2 PBs, I am leaning towards rehoming them both at this stage. The aggression is so disappointing.

The 60g is having a water change this morning & some cleaning. Only the original SS is growing in this tank, the other 4 don't seem to be growing at all.

I have to go away from home for training in my new job in 2 weeks time, I am preparing already and feeling anxious leaving my fish in the hands of my 2 friends who will be caring for all my pets while I am away. I know they will do their best, but they are not fish keepers and don't have the eye for detail if anything was to go wrong

I brought a TDS meter this week, I am yet to try it out, maybe later today.
    For the LOVE of Discus!

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hey everyone

All is well with my Discus Fish, they made it through the 2 weeks I was away with work with ease, and my friends did a wonderful job!
    I have been busy working and not had enough time to post on here, I hope your all well..
    A short video I took just now of my discus before morning feed, and I hope to do a water change later today for them.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/C0jMpxOtYyM
    For the LOVE of Discus!

Hi Sabrina,
    Thanks for the update..I was wondering how you and your fish were doing!

They look great!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Discus look great and are growing! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hey everyone

All is well with my Discus Fish, they made it through the 2 weeks I was away with work with ease, and my friends did a wonderful job!
    I have been busy working and not had enough time to post on here, I hope your all well..
    A short video I took just now of my discus before morning feed, and I hope to do a water change later today for them.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/C0jMpxOtYyM
    Beautiful fish. Kudos for keeping things so clean and beautiful. Would love to see more updates moving forward.
    Thank you,
    Sandip
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy...

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hey Sandip, Tom and Al

Thank you all for your comments!

Wow, this morning I reckon I was hours away from loosing my Big Snake Skin

I found him looking real bad leaning on the sponge filter. When I turned the light on he floated to the top of the water, was swirling around in circles on his side and then just floating at the surface. One of the Turq's was looking bad too, nose down wiggling.
    I dosed the tank with Epsom Salts and quickly emptied 50% of the water out of the tank & vacuumed the bottom. While the water was down I took the Eheim heater out as it seemed to be over heating the tank at over 30c and would not recalibrate, I placed an AquaOne heater in there and turned the temperature down to 26c. I also took out all the filter media and gently scrubbed it in a bucket of tank water. Filled the tank back up with fresh water, I did not feed them. The SS was just floating on the surface, and the Turq was still face down wiggling. I had to leave for 2 very important appointments out of town. I was sure the SS would be dead when I returned home. 7 hours later I just returned home, the SS is upright and swimming around the tank!!!! And the Turq is fine too!! I just fed them and all 5 are eating, what a miracle!!
    The SS was so bad this morning I almost euthanized it, but something told me not to.
    I have no idea what caused this. And I just realised I haven't tested the water in over 2 weeks, I will test it tomorrow morning and water change as per results.
    Here they are right now, as you can see the bigger SS is still a bit off with head slightly down...

For the LOVE of Discus!

Sorry Sabrina that this happened.. glad they are recovering. Its a good sign seeing the activity in the vid. I don't think the heater was the problem.. 30 c is perfectly fine for discus but I wonder if maybe some food was fed that they didnt eat and then ate.. sounds like bloated fish. The epsom salt probably saved them.

Hope everyone makes a full recovery.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345