AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Returning for commitment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Derek

Default Returning for commitment

Hello everyone,

My last discus experience was in college when I was working in some LFS, but at the time, they were an addition to a planted tank and neber really thrived as a component of those tanks and not the star. Over the years I've kept an eye on their captive husbandry and patiently waited to dip back into the hobby.

In February, I started shopping for a tank for an open spot in my basement, most is filled with dart frogs and a few other amphibians. The idea was to create an environment for discus to thrive and have as the showpiece of the aquarium. I found a drilled 90, cleaned it up, added a sump, and started planning. After watching YouTube videos and scouring the internet, quarantine was a necessity for this set up, so I sourced a 29 gallon.

I didn't like the idea of fishless cycling the tank then having discus as the first additions, likely from mail order, so I dosed ammonia in the system without fish until bacteria populations yielded some levels of nitrate. At that point, I felt comfortable adding dither fish and would use the 90 as their "quarantine" and only add discus after I was comfortable everyone was doing well for 30+ days. Cardinals and gold tetras joined the tank in March.

After traveling and finding reasons not to get discus in from one week to the next based on work and obligations, I started to focus on where to source the fish. Originally I was dead set on Stendker, but it seems to be a transitional time with German breeders selling to a US distributor in hopes of continuing the repro success. We have a few LFS that carry discus and in the off chance a few are healthy enough to be quarantined, I figured asian discus may be the best choice for now.

I ordered 6 fish from Hans Discus with his new supplier, Discus X, in Bangkok Thailand in early June. They came in ravenous and the water temp of the shipping bags was 84.6F, seemingly very stable in transit. So far they've done well, started to develop a pecking order, and are getting used to feeding and water change schedules.

Long term, I'd like to add 3 or 4 more fish after these have grown, but will need to look into fish additions a little more as not to disrupt their heirarchy and wellbeing. Please see attached photos and I'm excited to dive back in on a more focused basis.

Derek

received_1709986732789463.jpgIMG_20230628_102154_172.jpg20230622_194517.jpg20230617_175116.jpg

Default Re: Returning for commitment

Wishing you great success with these. They look like a happy healthy bunch.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Great looking tank and discus! Good luck! Keep updating .

Derek,
    Welcome back to the hobby! I hope you enjoy this part of your journey. Sounds like you have put in the time and have chosen some nice stock from a great seller. I'm looking forward to watching your journey!

I'd like to suggest you start a thread in our journal threads so we can all watch and learn from your experiences..journal thread is here...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-Tank-Journals

Welcome to Simply Discus!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Derek

Thank you and I'll surely make a build thread!

Real Name
    Sabrina

Looking beautiful!

Love those fish & that driftwood piece too..
    For the LOVE of Discus!

Hey Derek,
    Been a few months now, any updates on your tank and fish?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images