AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Planned tank mates for future 125G discus tank

Real Name
    Sabrina

Default Planned tank mates for future 125G discus tank

Hi all,

I have just brought a second hand 6 foot tank. In the future I would like for it to be my discus forever home.. I would like to stock it with the following fish, what do you think?

5 Discus (?)
    15 (?) Julii Corydora catfish - Can handle up to 29c
    25 (?) Rummy Nose Tetras - Can handle up to 29c

Links provided below:

https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/julii-cory/

https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/rummy-nose-tetra/
    For the LOVE of Discus!

Real Name
    Carter

Default Re: Planned tank mates for future 125G discus tank

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi all,

I have just brought a second hand 6 foot tank. In the future I would like for it to be my discus forever home.. I would like to stock it with the following fish, what do you think?

5 Discus (?)
    15 (?) Julii Corydora catfish - Can handle up to 29c
    25 (?) Rummy Nose Tetras - Can handle up to 29c

Links provided below:

https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/julii-cory/

https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/rummy-nose-tetra/
    While I enjoy the rummynose tetras as a fish, and they don't do any harm to the discus, I wouldn't get them again if I were to start my tank over. I feel like they just distract from the discus in my own tank. Completely up to you though. Personally never kept the julii, but I have sterbai corydoras instead. They have been fine at any temp, and even better, they bred in my tank. My water is 450+ tds so that was a surprise.
    Last edited by solasis; 07-05-2023 at 02:08 AM.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Hi Carter,

I do get what your saying, I have Rummies in another tank here, they are eye catching & race up and down the tank in a school, they look great. My only reason for wanting to go with them was they are safe with discus.. On that note, years ago I kept Kerri Tetras with my discus, they were silver with a black line right through their middle, and they were safe also, but I haven't seen them in the pet stores lately. I brought some Serpae Tetras recently, but they are like little pranas lol, would not put them with discus..
    The Julii's are cute spotted little guys, I am waiting on more to come into the pet store.. Guess with little fish, I am not sure what else to go with really..
    For the LOVE of Discus!

Real Name
    Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Hi Carter,

I do get what your saying, I have Rummies in another tank here, they are eye catching & race up and down the tank in a school, they look great. My only reason for wanting to go with them was they are safe with discus.. On that note, years ago I kept Kerri Tetras with my discus, they were silver with a black line right through their middle, and they were safe also, but I haven't seen them in the pet stores lately. I brought some Serpae Tetras recently, but they are like little pranas lol, would not put them with discus..
    The Julii's are cute spotted little guys, I am waiting on more to come into the pet store.. Guess with little fish, I am not sure what else to go with really..
    Another tetra option are Lemon tetras, a few members here have them in their tanks.

Real Name
    Sabrina

Thanks, I looked them up, not real keen on them though.. I do love these Rummies I have, I think I will take the chance with them, I can always change them out if I don't like them in there with the discus
    For the LOVE of Discus!