AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Governor Ron Desantis Just banned me from Driving in Florida

Default Florida Governor Ron Desantis Just banned me from Driving in Florida

I try very hard to not get Political on the Forum and even now I am really biting my tongue...but sometimes you just have to say something.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/flo...ly-2023-07-06/

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...tates/3063073/

Thats me. My Driver's License states " Not for Federal Identification. " I am here by no longer welcome to drive in the State of Florida because some royal @#$%^&*() Governor decides I am undocumented as an American because I don't have a Real ID Drivers liscence.. even though I have a passport and there is no federal law that you need a real ID.. I have a couple of choice hand signs for Desantis..

I'm sorry but political leanings and BS aside, DeSantis is a royal nutjob. I truly hope CT bans Florida Licences on Principal or better yet we have a huge boycott of Florida,, I really hope that the backlash is financially and politically DEVASTATING to Florida and their little Dictator..

al

The Federal Gov isn't even requiring Real Ids to fly until 2025
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/d...ded/index.html
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-10-2023 at 10:10 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Florida Governor Ron Desantis Just banned me from Driving in Florida

My neighbor up the road mentioned him when I asked who he would choose in the group. He's a far right kind of guy and I'm a far left type of woman. The twain may never meet, but we're friends nonetheless.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Florida Governor Ron Desantis Just banned me from Driving in Florida

Liz I don't really care much about his Political aspirations, but banning another States Drivers Licenses is not something we should be doing in the USA..even if its a calculated Knee dip to a political base.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jake

Politics aside, I am astounded that the governor of the state would pass laws such as these, when, in 2021, tourism accounted for 8% of their GDP and supported the employment of 1.7M people.

https://www.visitflorida.org/media/3...pact-study.pdf

In 2022, Florida had a 12.9% increase in tourism.
    https://www.flgov.com/2023/02/15/flo...%20over%202021.

Real Name
    Tom

Al I understand your grief!! Politics aside! I can’t stand these drivers here in NY with out of state license plates! Yes some are legit people just visiting. But here it seems like 50% are just running illegal. No inspections or insurance. Just out of state plates. And it’s profiling if the police pull them over! Plus even if they do pull them over and ticket them they don’t pay. Amazing too is if they hit you they’re not responsible. Seems like the only people who pay are middle class Americans! Just a shame we’re paying for everything!! It just seems that the word illegal for some reason is a positive thing here!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

While I voted for Desantis the first time he has got way too right for my tastes. So I do not currently have the Real ID on my drivers license. Does that make me an undocumented person. What is proof “of lawful presence in the United States”. Do I need to carry a passport now when I drive?? or carry a birth certificate. This is yet another law trying to solve a non-problem.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Liz I don't really care much about his Political aspirations, but banning another States Drivers Licenses is not something we should be doing in the USA..even if its a calculated Knee dip to a political base.
    I firmly agree with you here Al.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    While I voted for Desantis the first time he has got way too right for my tastes. So I do not currently have the Real ID on my drivers license. Does that make me an undocumented person. What is proof “of lawful presence in the United States”. Do I need to carry a passport now when I drive?? or carry a birth certificate. This is yet another law trying to solve a non-problem.
    Pat
    So basically Florida residents can drive without a real Id and there is no official mandate that everyone must have one in Florida to drive.,?. yet other states residents it will be illegal to drive in Florida..

Wow... thats even more pathetic than I had thought.I figured the little man with big ego already forced all of florida to get real ids. I wonder how many arent compliant. I know in 2022 stats through out the usa were between 45-60% which is why the fed gov pushed the id deadline to 2025 to fly...or you need a passport.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Al, I’m pretty sure I have to get a real ID compliant drivers license on my next renewal which I think is next year. The current law sounds like it assumes that all Florida drivers have a real ID drivers license which is not correct. And you’re right, it’s pathetic.
    Pat

When I moved to MD I traded my NY license for the MD license then they came out with the real ID so my next renewal was 2019, I got the new one then. At least when I go to my place in FL I can drive.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

I think you all are going down a very slippery slope. I'm sure there are folks on this site of every political persuasion biting there tongue, me being
    one of them, that don't think this is the place for political discussion. It's for discus q@a's,let keep it at that.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    I think you all are going down a very slippery slope. I'm sure there are folks on this site of every political persuasion biting there tongue, me being
    one of them, that don't think this is the place for political discussion. It's for discus q@a's,let keep it at that.
    Jay
    Jay,
    This blog is my personal space .. I charge no one a thing to use the forum.. if I want to rant on a topic..I think I am allowed. You really dont have to read my blog...theres plenty of fish threads. I see no problem with this thread. Im not the one the passed the law but I am directly affected by it. .. would you prefer I not say that I can not drive in Florida now because someone with presidential aspirations is targeting my state for publicity? Apologies.. not happening.

Do you have a real ID yet Jay?
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-10-2023 at 02:46 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I don't have one, but I don't care. I can't travel anywhere far any more. I have a passport but I'm sure it's expired by now.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Don't y'all have photo ID's on your driver license? How or can you drive without one? I can't understand how something like this can happen between states.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Don't y'all have photo ID's on your driver license? How or can you drive without one? I can't understand how something like this can happen between states.
    We do.. but after 9-11 they want us to have ones that are more vetted ...its been rolling out years now.The Federal gov wants more proven ID wise to fly on domestic flights. It has zero to do with driving cars. .. its just being made out by DeSantis to be about driving. Its not.

Its not a federal law for anything but flying... and even then if you have a passport, You dont need the real id to fly. Additionally you will need the real id to access federal buildings and nuclear power plants .. but again..passport is acceptible also.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-10-2023 at 04:14 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast