AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Please welcome me to the 21st century

Default Please welcome me to the 21st century

As of this morning, I've been connected to high speed internet. I'm pumped. If I can get this, in the middle of nowhere, everyone will start getting it, hopefully sooner than later.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: Please welcome me to the 21st century

I saw fiber all around where you live when we were there a few months ago. Our tax dollars at work, Connect America Funds.

I knew beforehand that a bill connect highspeed internet to the sticks. This one is offered through my Dixie Electric in conjunction with my very tiny phone company who I got DSL from previously. I'm happy that my teenie weenie phone company that has not sold out and does a great job get a cut of the money. I can't believe that the service ends at my little road. All those people will have to be happy with what they have, as I was when I was on DSL. Heck, I was happy when all there was was dial-up.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

How exciting Liz
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyle

Part of my job is explaining the internet to the older generation so I can be a sort of liaison if ever needed. My knowledge is limited but I will try.
    Welcome to the interwebs
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Those who don't know must learn from those that do. " - Plato

Real Name
    Jake

The difference between DSL and 'high-speed' broadband can be a night and day difference. I'm sure you'll feel the impact and welcome to the good life!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    The difference between DSL and 'high-speed' broadband can be a night and day difference. I'm sure you'll feel the impact and welcome to the good life!
    I'm confused now what the difference between high-speed and fiber optic speed besides the price.

I don't know much, but what I know is that DSL uses the same cable as your telephone line. The high speed cable is still a cable but I fiber opitc ones, which are state of the art, use pulses of light. I'm sure there's more to it, though.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    I'm confused now what the difference between high-speed and fiber optic speed besides the price.
    High-speed broadband is a generic term (interchangable with high-speed internet) - it simply refers to the ability to remain connected to the internet without the need for a "dial-up" connection. Basically, you're just always connected. These days, there's not a whole lot different between the various high speed internet options. Typically, when someone mentions broadband, they are referring to the type of internet that is transmitted over coxial cable (your cable TV wire). Fiber is another option for broadband. The benefits to fiber are lower latency, higher reliability, and capability of carrying higher bandwidths. It's more expensive to deploy and repair, which is why it usually costs more than cable broadband.

Starlink is available pretty much anywhere. You do not need any cables to your home. You can take it with you for say a camping trip. Connectivity is fast enough to be called broadband.
    Thank you,
    Sandip
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy...