ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Inflamed Nostrils/Varicose Veins?

Registered Member

Default Discus Inflamed Nostrils/Varicose Veins?

Hello All,

I bought a turquoise pair off of an importer about a month ago; and after about a week I noticed the female had developed inflamed nostrils/nasal canal, as per photograph attached. When I look closely the nasal canal seems to be swollen and resembles varicose veins. She also didn't eat for a month but is starting to nibble at food now. Any ideas what is causing this and or an appropriate treatment.

Her behaviour seems completely normal aside from the not eating; she also isn't interested in breeding while the male seems quite randy!

Figured it might be an infection or the byproduct of stress but it hasn't worsened; aside from some additional redness at the base of the gill along the lateral line (although I may not have noticed it earlier.

Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings all at zero, tank is established; pH of water is 7.4. Have had the temperature raised to 30°C/86°C to try and stimulate it's appetite (was at 32°C but I dropped after she began to nibble at food).

Any clues as to what might be causing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus Inflamed Nostrils/Varicose Veins?

This happens quite often. I'm not sure there's any real cause for it although many people report after some sort of injury or distress. It usually goes away.

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Keep an eye out and note any changes in redness or disposition. You could add 2-3 TBS salt per 10g for 10 days. I'm not sure it would help with the redness but it'll help with any discomfort the fish me experience.

Registered Member

Ok thanks. I had already put salt in the tank. Will keep an eye on it.

Agree with Brian here. However its a bit concerning that the fish didnt eat for a month and has what sounds like a weak appetitie. Its common for fish that have been shipped to lose their appetite for a few days..but a healthy fish should snap back real soon. This excludes wilds which can take longer.

What have you treated this fish with since you got it? Also a note on your tank parameters Water quality , particularly nitrites and nitrates have been noted as caising that red nose and can impair appetite. You mentioned your water tests..
    Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings all at zero, tank is established;
    This isnt really likely.. your tank should have nitrates if the biofilter is working.. even with huge water changes. I would have another look at atyour water quality to be sure.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images