AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: RO system filter order....

Default RO system filter order....

Okay starting afresh after many years, been on reef sites so may be ott on the RO system.

Order of filters....

5 Stage flow meter(record of amount of water though the filters) 5mic pre filter/CBR2 Carbon/Chlorplus/5mic pre filter/Nitrate resin/Booster pump/2x 75gpd RO membrane in series/2x DI resin.

The second 5mic pre filter to catch any Carbon fines from the Carbon filters. Could put it after the Nitrate resin?
    Is this the right place to put the booster pump, some reef people put it before the Carbons.
    Got a double TDS probe the 1st after the RO, where would the 2nd one go, after the 1st DI resin or after the last one?
    Thinking of having a bypass tap after the Nitrate resin so I can have filtered water to go to my grow outs and may be to used to remin the RO/DI water.

I have the the gear from years ago but just renewed the filters so might as well use them.

Your thoughts, be gentle.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: RO system filter order....

Way over the top with this system assuming that you even need one. What are your starting parameters out of the tap?

As a rule, resins are unnecessary for discus. You just need a carbon prefilter and an R/O membrane. Reefs and discus have very different requirements. For discus, you just need to bring down the level of calcium in hard water.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Way over the top with this system assuming that you even need one. What are your starting parameters out of the tap?

As a rule, resins are unnecessary for discus. You just need a carbon prefilter and an R/O membrane. Reefs and discus have very different requirements. For discus, you just need to bring down the level of calcium in hard water.
    Hi, yes I know it's ott but i've got the gear so either use it or put it in the loft box.. My water out of the tap is 7.6ph 350 ppm 8kh I got to 20 drops on my gh test and gave up. Nitrate 30.2mg/l Lead 0.3mg/l Chlorine 0.77mg/l

Real Name
    Willie

70 - 80 ppm total hardness would be ideal for spawning. It'll end up reducing kH, gH, nitrates, etc. as well.
    At my age, everything is irritating.