ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is my water conditioner killing my fish????????

Default Is my water conditioner killing my fish????????

Hi, I'm concerned about my water conditioner and my fish. It could be my aged water container or my new filter not seeded but it's something. I have five tanks running at the moment and I'm not being able to get a clear tank. It all started because my pair was hooking up so I decided to give them there own privacy. I setup a tank, thought I'd put a seeded filter in the tank after a few days all was still clear then I added the pair and after a day the tank seemed cloudy, so I did a huge water change with aged water. All seemed fine but after a few hours the tank seems like it's slowly clouding up again.
    Does water conditioner go bad, I started buying water conditioner when I found my specific conditioner on sale or cheaper some where's else. I would buy it by the gallon 2 at a time and stocked up, my big tanks seem to be okay but my smaller breeding tanks 30 gallons or less are affected. I also set up two ten gallon tanks for my black rams and they seem ok for now..... Jim in Ohio

Default Re: Is my water conditioner killing my fish????????

What product are you using? How often are you changing water and how much? What are your water parameters?
    Mama Bear

Jim,
    Do these tanks get alot of sun? It almost sounds like a bloom going on. I would drastically cut the light on the tanks and see if that improves the water.

It is possible for chemicals to degrade but I think I would look at light and nutrient load .

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What product are you using? How often are you changing water and how much? What are your water parameters?
    It's Amquel Plus and at the moment now that it's happening twice a day.
    PH 7.2-7.6
    Ammonia 0.25ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5.0ppm

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jim,
    Do these tanks get alot of sun? It almost sounds like a bloom going on. I would drastically cut the light on the tanks and see if that improves the water.

It is possible for chemicals to degrade but I think I would look at light and nutrient load .

Al
    At the moment just fluorescent light from over head, I have my main tank a 90 in same room that is directly in line with the window and it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    It's Amquel Plus and at the moment now that it's happening twice a day.
    PH 7.2-7.6
    Ammonia 0.25ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5.0ppm
    Your ammonia is too high. These are the tanks that you weren't sure about the sponges being fully enough cycled, right? Change water daily until it goes back to 0, where it should be. Products like Seachem Stability help the cycle complete more quickly.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Your ammonia is too high. These are the tanks that you weren't sure about the sponges being fully enough cycled, right? Change water daily until it goes back to 0, where it should be. Products like Seachem Stability help the cycle complete more quickly.
    Thanks Liz will do, your right on about my sponges thought if it was something it was them just needed a second opinion.

Real Name
    Frank

I would use seachem prime instead of amquel.

Real Name
    Mervin

Seachem Prime and Amquel is the same substance. When do you put the conditioner in your aged water? Hopefully just before using your water. Other wise if you let it set the bond will break within 24 hours leaving the ammonia behind. That's if your water source contains chloramine.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Seachem Prime and Amquel is the same substance. When do you put the conditioner in your aged water? Hopefully just before using your water. Other wise if you let it set the bond will break within 24 hours leaving the ammonia behind. That's if your water source contains chloramine.
    Yes, I know that they are the "same substance." When I was researching (a while back) I found several negative reviews on Amquel on how consistently it worked in the water. They may have fixed it. I have found Prime consistent through the years. I use the powder to cut down on the expense.

Registered Member

Amquel and Amquel Plus are different, the plus has the same smell like Prime and the regular Amquel doesn't smell at all. I get complains from customers when I use Prime and Amquel Plus the smell of rotten eggs.
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 08-07-2023 at 12:15 PM.