ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 125 Gallon Acrylic project.

Default Re: 125 Gallon Acrylic project.

The TDS was about 100 so when I am ready I will drop to 70-80 ppm.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

OK into 3rd week now we start deworming and the Eruption pair decided to lay some eggs. Covered up some of the sponge filters and replaced the black heater. The background nothing I can do, I use to have this tank painted white but I removed the paint a wile back.

20230824_154726.jpg

20230824_154517.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Hopefully I will have some wiggles to confirm the pair. I don't no if the male did his job, since already some scattered white eggs.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 08-24-2023 at 06:10 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Ok looked this morning and I thought they were all white and when I got home I found the cone clean. I guess I have a bad papa or two females. I haven't seen them while they spawn so I don't know who is who. I think the one on the left is a female.

20230825_154240.jpg

20230825_154244.jpg

20230825_154248.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 08-25-2023 at 03:53 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Chuck they look great.. Im sure they will get it right in time. Question.. whats the reason for covering up the sponges and replacing the black heater?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Chuck they look great.. Im sure they will get it right in time. Question.. whats the reason for covering up the sponges and replacing the black heater?
    Al
    Incase they have free swimmers les distraction less dark areas to better find the parents. I don't know if it make a difference or not. Hopeful thinking or over kill?
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 08-25-2023 at 10:42 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Overkill. plus its going to make those sponges harder to clean with zip ties. Elastic bands may work better if you chose this route. Most of the time the fry will find the parents ok even with black sponges but if it looks like they aren't you can just remove the sponge and put it in a zip lock bag until the fry attach. It usually is only a few hours or overnight. It can also be helpful to drop the water level down to above the parents backs. But most of the time these tactic are only needed for albinos and maybe some pigeons. The parents are pretty good at attracting the fry with their shimmying and movements. I usually turn down the airflow on the sponges though when fry go free swimming.

Hth,Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Great advice Al I will remove the filter cloth later on. I never tried to breed Discus and my pair of Marlboros never spawned. They are still a great pair and they are the two in my first tank in the video that I uploaded a page back. He is about 7 - 7 1/2 inches and she is a little bit smaller. There always playing and enjoying themselves so I never got other Discus for company. Now they are german from Hans so can't really mix.

20230826_101943.jpg

20230826_102012.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 08-26-2023 at 10:24 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Chuck, although there is some truth to not mixing german and asian strains its kind of gotten blown out of proportion. I have had fish from both Kenny and Hans in my place at the same time and mixed them no issues. .. the key is quarantine. If you just plop discus from germany and discus from malaysia into the same tank theres a really good likelihood that one or the other or both will get sick. However if you take those two fish and quarantine them in the same home or room for a good solid 6 or more weeks.. theres a very good chance nothing will happen when you mix them. The reason is because most of the viruses and bacterias that cause the fish to break down when thrown together find their way into your tanks in water droplets .. but the amount is so small the fish deal with the immune response and get used to it.

At least thats been my experiences with mixing fish from multiple sources. Its really largely about taking your time with QT.

Hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Chuck, although there is some truth to not mixing german and asian strains its kind of gotten blown out of proportion. I have had fish from both Kenny and Hans in my place at the same time and mixed them no issues. .. the key is quarantine. If you just plop discus from germany and discus from malaysia into the same tank theres a really good likelihood that one or the other or both will get sick. However if you take those two fish and quarantine them in the same home or room for a good solid 6 or more weeks.. theres a very good chance nothing will happen when you mix them. The reason is because most of the viruses and bacterias that cause the fish to break down when thrown together find their way into your tanks in water droplets .. but the amount is so small the fish deal with the immune response and get used to it.

At least thats been my experiences with mixing fish from multiple sources. Its really largely about taking your time with QT.

Hth,
    Al
    Well Al you give me hope that maybe I can eventually down the line after my new one are settled I can move the Marlboros to my new tank. They been with me for about 2 1/2 years and I did not have many problems with them.
    Just Call Me Chuck

These two are at it again lets see what happen.

20230827_203737.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Here is the video hopefully they do their job.

Just Call Me Chuck

Its looking good so far Chuck! Fingers Crossed for you!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

These two did not work out so I am going to work with one at a time. I will start adding some tank water to there tank so I can move them this weekend as long as there is a good reaction to the change. The Eruption pair will stay in the tank and see if I can get a successful spawn. Everybody have a wonderful Labor Day weekend and enjoy friends and family. If not enjoy your fish.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Two happy campers in their new home.

20230903_114629.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast