ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: To pack or not to pack?

Default To pack or not to pack?

Never used resins before so new to this, have had advice of 2 different ways of filling the resin carts. 1st to pack it in hard so no space or 2nd to fill 7/8ths so the resin can swell around. Personally I think swelling my be better contact time.

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: To pack or not to pack?

When you say resin, I assume you're talking about DI resin for an RO/DI system (since that's what I believe you've spoken about in posts elsewhere). Whenever I've used DI resin, I usually just give the cartridge a few hits on the table to make sure everything is settled without large empty spaces, otherwise I've filled it to the brim without leaving any additional space. I haven't "packed" it like you would pack brown sugar when baking. The whole idea of filling it completely without extra space is that you prevent channelling - water won't make a natural channel in the DI resin where it can bypass the resin completely leaving you with non-DI water as it makes its way through the system.

Default Re: To pack or not to pack?

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    When you say resin, I assume you're talking about DI resin for an RO/DI system (since that's what I believe you've spoken about in posts elsewhere). Whenever I've used DI resin, I usually just give the cartridge a few hits on the table to make sure everything is settled without large empty spaces, otherwise I've filled it to the brim without leaving any additional space. I haven't "packed" it like you would pack brown sugar when baking. The whole idea of filling it completely without extra space is that you prevent channelling - water won't make a natural channel in the DI resin where it can bypass the resin completely leaving you with non-DI water as it makes its way through the system.
    Thanks, most say pack it in without space that's what I will do.