ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Lid

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Lid

I’m getting a eurobraced 60x24x20 tank and need a lid. I’m looking into having one made given it’s eurobraced. Anyone buy a lid custom online or DIY? Appreciate suggestions!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Lid

Sorry Mike. I’ve got so many different type of covers. Glass doesn’t bend and looks the best. Glass is heavy and breaks. Plastic and acrylic look great when put on. Than within a few days starts bending and you have to flip them. Bent they look like garbage. Fine in a fish room but not in a display tank. Why so many use canopies. The last acrylic tank I bought is a clear for life. Last year. The covers they sent with it are plastic but do not bend. Nicest cover I’ve got. Finding out what these are made of would be great.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Tom for you input. Its my display tank so glass would be ideal, I think. Agree with your experience with polycarbonate. Also, with it being eurobraced, putting a glass lid on it will be challenging without it being one huge piece.

Tom, I know you like wet/dry sumps. Do you use a durso system, or bean animal, or something else?

Real Name
    Tom

Lol to tell the truth I have no clue as to what those are/mean. I use overflows that hang on the back and drain water from the top of the tank into the top of the filter. I don’t drill holes in tanks. I would say mine are the original way .

Registered Member

Mike, Make a template out of cardboard, and take it to a glass repair company, they can cut the glass to your size.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

I use Lexan Thermoclear Polycarbonate Sheets that I cut to size. I've never had them bend and I've been using them for about 4 years. They are very light and durable. I got them from either Lowes or Home Depot. I don't remember which store.

Real Name
    Carter

I've had my poly carbonate lids for 7-8 months with no bending. Definitely not a bad looking option but they are light and a spooked fish can easily push them off if you don't have anything resting on top of them.. speaking from experience when I lost a fish from jumping after mounting my lights up. I added some child locks which solved the issue.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks all- I'm going to try to get a glass lid fabricated.