ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Herring gulls in their "natural" Habitat

Default Herring gulls in their "natural" Habitat

Bio Tours are a great way to check out wildlife in remote natural settings. They are expensive though so most people can not afford to go on these marvelous journeys. I would love to go on one of these trips but its just out of my budget..still I like to research these trips and look at the pictures...visiting vicariously is better then nothing right? So one day a few weeks ago I came across an opportunity to visit a place where you could observe the rare and mysterious Herring Gull Larus argentatus smithsonianus, at one of its feeding grounds... and the cost was really reasonable.. $22 for a camping permit, you provide your own transportation, meals , shelter etc. Not exactly the all inclusive biotour package but for me a steal! I jumped right on that opportunity and I am so glad I did! Early that morning while all the other campers were sleeping I got to witness an actual Herring Gull gathering where they come together to feast on the bounty of a natural unspoiled area of the park.

Herring Gulls having a picnic_1 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Herring Gulls having a picnic_2 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Herring Gulls having a picnic_3 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Herring Gulls having a picnic_4 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Herring Gulls having a picnic_5 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Herring Gulls having a picnic_6 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Herring Gulls having a picnic_7 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Herring Gulls having a picnic_8 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Herring Gulls having a picnic_9 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

I learned many things on this trip, like who knew they hunted graham Crackers and country crock spread? I also did not know that took such care when they ate to actually use a table like structure. I would definitely recommend anyone take a trip like this if you can. I believe they happen in campgrounds everywhere..Just time it to correspond to when humans are present. The Gulls seem to be attracted to humans. Scientists don't know why but hypothesize that its the feeding behavior of the humans that actually trigger the action on the feeding ground.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 08-12-2023 at 03:45 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Herring gulls in their "natural" Habitat

Oh man too funny Al The gulls were certainly helping themselves and I'm sure a rude awaking for the humans. Best to place all that under a screen tent.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Pat. When I am camping at these parks I get up at dawn and head out for a few hours birding and photography in the golden hours of morning. This park is on a beach and has tons of places to bird. So I head out at dawn and walk through the campground to get to the beach and trails. It never fails to amuse me when I see wildlife taking advantage of a bounty at really dumb campers campsites. These people just dont understand wildlife at all. Leaving food out overnight? Seriously stupid...makes for good images though.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thanks Pat. When I am camping at these parks I get up at dawn and head out for a few hours birding and photography in the golden hours of morning. This park is on a beach and has tons of places to bird. So I head out at dawn and walk through the campground to get to the beach and trails. It never fails to amuse me when I see wildlife taking advantage of a bounty at really dumb campers campsites. These people just dont understand wildlife at all. Leaving food out overnight? Seriously stupid...makes for good images though.
    It certainly does Al. Ashame you didn't hang around to see the expressions of the campers once they saw what happened to their picnic lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening