AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Truly an Angry Bird!!!!

Default Truly an Angry Bird!!!!

Willet (Tringa semipalmata)
    Hammonasset Beach State Park

This Willet and I have a complex relationship. He truly does not like me . For 2 weeks I photographed in this park. This Willet would see me from several hundred yards away and would start squawking and bee line right for me, swerving with in feet. One time he landed within feet of me and continued his verbal tirade against my presence. Obviously a tad protective of , probably guarding a nest in the marsh .It wasn't just me... I saw it do the same another Photographer as well.

Willet are not small birds and aside from terns I have never been attacked by a bird. It was a bit intimidating. I was like" what the heck did I do" Nothing like seeing a small dot across the marsh rapidly grow into a fairly good size bird barreling down on you!

_AJS0430 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS0439 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS0459 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

in my face...
    _AJS8556 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS8561 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS8589 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS8691 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS8791 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS8795 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS8849 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

_AJS8851 by Al Sabetta, on Flickr
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Truly an Angry Bird!!!!

That's funny! Almost as funny as a few weeks ago and owl strafed me and bombed me with part of a rabbit carcass, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    That's funny! Almost as funny as a few weeks ago and owl strafed me and bombed me with part of a rabbit carcass, lol...
    Lmao.. maybe he was sharing and thought you were an owling.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Interesting Al, sounds like this bird has a vendetta against photographers? It sure makes for some exciting photos
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat I think I have a good idea of why the bird goes bonkers on photographers only. The sound of the camera shutter is one possibility. The other is its responding to a way bird watchers sometimes get birds to come out of the bushes... its called "pishing". Its a sound that kind of mimics the warning calls birds make when a predator is around. "Birds are naturally curious of whats going on in their area so they pop out of the bushes to take a peak... same reason why birds like jays and crows mob hawks and owls.

Alot of birders visit this park year round. My friend the Willet may have just associated photographers with being a threat to its nesting. Ironically just behind where it nests is a branch of the campground loaded with people.. which the bird ignores..until that other photographer came to the marsh next to campground.. then the bird went ballistic .

It could also be the way birders behave physically. Most people are literally oblivious to the natural world. They may see a pretty flower or showy bird..but other than that all eyes and attention are elsewhere. A bird watcher or naturalist is an observer. They will often focus on an area and try to see what is really there. That to a bird on a nest that is a big threat. Being noticed is not what they want so they respond..usually by squawking at us to get our attention elsewhere..I have seen this in my yard with wrens If I am watching them from too close a distance they start yelling at me and try to coax me away from their nest area. I believe this is what the willet was doing... but on a scale I have not seen before! I have seen willets many times in the marshes and they are usually not like this.Im sure its a territory nesting thing with this one.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 08-14-2023 at 06:17 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com