AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: changing filter equipment

Silver Member

Default changing filter equipment

I have a 110 gallon tank. i have 3 - 2217 eheims presently. I am looking for an easier alterative filter then maintaining the 2217s.. I am getting tired of going up and down my basement steps and carrying the them every time to clean the filters. i do 4 - 6 week cleanings. is there another filter or filtration system that will give me the same g/p/h and as quiet as the eheims?

thanks,
    jim

Default Re: changing filter equipment

I switched to sponges only and will never go back. A good rinse in a bucket of water is all it takes to give them a cleaning once in a while.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Sponges for me, also!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I switched to sponges only and will never go back. A good rinse in a bucket of water is all it takes to give them a cleaning once in a while.
    I have never used sponges before. can you show me an example of what they would be and how many would I need?

Thanks,
    Jim

I use this type in the fish room with a silent Jehmco linear air pump: https://www.amazon.com/Lustar-Hydro-.../dp/B0002602SM

or if you want to use electricity rather than air pumps these would work: https://www.amazon.com/Lustar-Hydro-.../dp/B0002602SM

I use 3 big ones in a 100 gallon which is more than is needed. Not sure about the electric ones as I've never used them.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Jim I use wet/dry filters. A wet/dry will replace all three of the canisters. These come up cheap on marketplace. This is on my 125. I squeeze out sponge filters at water changes. C82DAE6A-5544-45D1-96FC-A6CA6876C94F.jpg

Registered Member

I have used AC HOB filters on 180 gallon easy to maintain only take a few minutes for each filter.

Silver Member

i want to thank everyone for their replies. After exhaustive research, and i mean exhaustive, i decided on oase boi-master themo 600 filters. I looked into wet/drys, but I couldn't fit them into my stand. the door openings are too small. The sponges would have worked good. since this is a display tank, i didn't like how they looked in the tank. i have an AC 110 I have used on my tank, but it would take more, but easier maintenance. i guess i am a canister man at heart. the reason for the oase, the large pre-filter and heater included in the canister. the tray system worked out great. and the quick release hoses is making my life easier instead on cramming myself into the stand to loosen the eheim quick connects. the filter does come with a very sturdy handle. i know i complained about carrying the filters down the basement to clean. the handle makes it much easier. But the canisters are heavier than the eheims. I scrapped 3 of the oase's foam pads and now i can add twice as much bio media than the eheims held. i also rearranged the suggested layout of the trays to put the 30 PPI sponge and 2 purigen pads on the bottom tray, the rest boi media. I attached a photo of my tank. the 3 return tubes in the pic are the eheims and will be replaced by just 2 oases. and the priming pump is a dream. 1 push and the filter primed. i know filters are a personal preference and there are many other solutions i could have tried. i know, at least for now, the oases were the better fit for me.

thanks,
    jim

0408231952_HDR.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Yes everybody likes what they like . Good luck with it! Some pictures would be nice. I’ve heard of them but never seen them. I had the fx6 for a few years and sold it. Thing I’ve been finding is the bio-media just isn’t what it’s talked up to be. Sponge just does a better job and holds much more bacteria.