ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus Not Well/Acting Funny

Default Re: Discus Not Well/Acting Funny

Willie, do you know how to test your water to find out whether or not you need to age?

Take a bucket of water and put a bubbler in it. Let it sit bubbling for 12 hrs. After 12 hrs take a pH reading from the water and straight from the tap and compare it with the reading you get from the bucket that's been bubbling. If you have a difference in the two of .4 or more you have to age. That way the water you put in the tank will be the same as the water you remove during WC.

Although Discus have no problem going from a difference in pH once in a while, over time the constant up and down swing will cause them stress.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    My thoughts, also.
    I checked the PH on my some aged water that I have on hand. It is about 48 hours old and the PH is 6.4. I'll back off on the water change percentage a bit. I got carried away when I decided to up it to almost 70%

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    My thoughts, also.
    I checked the PH on my some aged water that I have on hand. It is about 48 hours old and the PH is still 6 or less. I tested it using aerated water and I tested it using standing water. I'll back off on the water change percentage a bit. I got carried away when I decided to up it to almost 70%

If your water is stable you should be able to change 100% without problems. Did you test a cup full fresh, straight from the tap? What kind of test kit did you use? Strips aren't worth a damn. The best test is the API test. If you don't have that one your pet shop can test your water for you pretty cheap. You'll have to take 1 jar of bubbled in a bucket water and one of water straight from the tap. We need to rule out for sure that your water is not the problem before we look for the more unusual suspects.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

I use the API Mater Test kit and I've only had it for 3 months.

OK. Time for Al to chime in.
    Mama Bear

Im still going to go with dissolved Gas in the water as the issue. CO2 IS usually the main culprit.. pH swings are a good indicator..

Willie if you could retest your water. IN A 5 GAL pail.. add fresh tap water. Dont add dechlor .. take your pH after adding the water..next add an airstone... aerate overnight with a good amount air/airstone... heater helps here as warmer water loses gas better than cold.

A cheapo meter like here...https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XK...b_b_asin_title

Is adequate for most.

What we know is your fish were fine.. you upped water changes and they got stressed with what sounds exactly like what happens to my fish under similar circumstances.. I attribute this kibd of stress to a form of gas bubble disease common in fish hatcheries..too much dissolved gases in the water... .. lets go with the backed off water changes and see how they are in a few days...please keep us posted.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Im still going to go with dissolved Gas in the water as the issue. CO2 IS usually the main culprit.. pH swings are a good indicator..

Willie if you could retest your water. IN A 5 GAL pail.. add fresh tap water. Dont add dechlor .. take your pH after adding the water..next add an airstone... aerate overnight with a good amount air/airstone... heater helps here as warmer water loses gas better than cold.

A cheapo meter like here...https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XK...b_b_asin_title

Is adequate for most.

What we know is your fish were fine.. you upped water changes and they got stressed with what sounds exactly like what happens to my fish under similar circumstances.. I attribute this kibd of stress to a form of gas bubble disease common in fish hatcheries..too much dissolved gases in the water... .. lets go with the backed off water changes and see how they are in a few days...please keep us posted.

Al
    Thanks Al. I have the setup in place and I have started with the 25% water changes as you advised. I do have a bully in the tank that is also causing problems (I suspect it even caused one to jump out of the tank) and I will isolate it so that it will stop stressing the others. This is new behavior from the smallest fish in the tank. I will keep you all posted.
    Last edited by wsantia1; 08-20-2023 at 09:52 AM.

Willie,
    How are the fishes?

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Willie,
    How are the fishes?

Al
    After I took my bully fish out the rest of the Discus except one have begun acting normal. The one that I am watching is not attacking the food as it normally would but it is eating. The rest of them are coming right up to me and taking the food out of my hand. I'll keep my eye on it while I gradually return the tank back to normal. Thanks for asking.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

Just an update. Discus are looking a lot better and are gobbling their food and are no longer skittish. For the time being I am doing about 30% water changes daily. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Glad to hear it Willie!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

Just giving an update. The Discus are all doing well with 5 of the original 7 in the 75G tank and another one in a 55 together with a Dutch Blue Ram and a couple of BNs. The 7th one jumped to its death. As of now I am am doing about a 40% water change on the 75 daily and maybe a 25 to 35 % water change on the very lightly stocked 55 a couple of times a week.

There may be an attempt to reintroduce that Discus back into the main group but not before I make sure it is 100% healthy. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12