ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Went to FL, saw a rocket and more

Real Name
    Matt

Default Went to FL, saw a rocket and more

Been wanting to go see a launch, ended up tabbing this Crew 7 Falcon 9 launch as the one. Had to flip flop plans many times as it was consistently pushed back. Had a location to view picked out then launch times kept changing and that cut out the area I was going to go. I ended up pulling the trigger on the trip and bought tickets for Kennedy's viewing area (expensive but worth it IMO) that was 3.9 Miles away to guarantee myself a chance to see it if it goes, basically the closest you can get if the beach isn't open. Best case I see the launch, worst case the launch is scrubbed but I get a nice weekend in FL and figure out something to shoot. Launch got scrubbed on the original date with a window for the next day, thankfully it went up on that window. Got lucky with this launch, they brought the booster back to Kennedy instead of landing it on a drone ship so we got to see the reentry and hear/feel the sonic boom. Fairly rare event for the Falcon 9 these days.

Ended up being a 3:27am launch time, I had a tough time with photos for this one. I totally underestimated how bright this thing is, and once it's up how small and fast it moves. For my attempt at a long exposure instead of being at like f/10, I should of been at f/20 at least. Next time I go down I'll have a much better grasp and be more ready. So this time I enjoyed more of the launch than got good photos. The sounds, the sights, the star and meteor gazing for 2hrs prior to launch, it's awesome. And getting back to Kennedy Space Center for the first time since like 6th grade for Space Camp. Highly recommend the trip. I already feel the need to go back. I'd like to see the Falcon Heavy, the Artemis, and a day launch of any sort.

Surly Bonds of Earth by Matt, on Flickr

So many cool colors from this. Focus is a bit off but like I said this is small and moving so fast haha, it's also looking almost straight up trying to hold a big lens.
    Crew 7 by Matt, on Flickr
    Crew 7 by Matt, on Flickr

What I did get though was 2 good days at Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge. Kind of out of season for a lot of the birds, was super hot out, but I really enjoyed the days being able to get in nature a bit and get back on the horse. I shot all of these with the Canon R5 which is new to me, my first mirrorless. Has a lot of new stuff that I am still learning and getting used to. So not perfect but I think it did well for the first time out. I can't touch Pat's bird photography, she does phenomenal work, but I'm pleased with my first results. Still a lot to learn!

Osprey by Matt, on Flickr
    moorhen by Matt, on Flickr
    Tricolor by Matt, on Flickr
    Little Blue Heron by Matt, on Flickr
    White by Matt, on Flickr
    White by Matt, on Flickr
    White by Matt, on Flickr
    Green heron by Matt, on Flickr
    Great Blue Heron by Matt, on Flickr
    Gator by Matt, on Flickr
    Gator by Matt, on Flickr

Not a great shot here, sun was in my face but this guy surprised me. After taking photos of the Osprey, i turn around to get back in the car and this thing is just casually walking across the road 30yds in front of me, I wasn't prepared. I'd estimate at least 8-10ft long, big boy. Has foam on his head from the Indian River.
    Gator by Matt, on Flickr

Saw some bubbles moving as I was driving by the creek, had to be either gator or turtle. Stopped got out and did a baby gator call and this guy pops up. They're cute at this age, probably no more than 12" long.
    Baby gator by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Went to FL, saw a rocket and more

Nice set Matt I got to shoot the Artemis. Took three attempts. I was lucky and had a friend who owns a condo on the beach. Hope you had fun in Florida. Sorry I missed you.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Matt, that rocket taking off is beyond belief. Thanks for posting!
    Mama Bear

Matt,
    Great seeing you out with camera. Glad the lauch worked out for you as well. Merritt Island is a great place any time of the year , got some nice pics from it. Hope to see more from you and your new gear!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Nice set Matt I got to shoot the Artemis. Took three attempts. I was lucky and had a friend who owns a condo on the beach. Hope you had fun in Florida. Sorry I missed you.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat, your bird photos always inspire me to try them as a subject! I can for sure see myself going down for more launches. So many different shots i'd like to capture. Artemis is sweet, would love to see that one though I just saw where NASA said Artemis and the SLS program is unaffordable at current cost levels so not sure how much longer that will be flying.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Matt, that rocket taking off is beyond belief. Thanks for posting!
    Thanks! Was an incredible experience, it is easily one of the top space/astronomy type things i've seen maybe tied or just behind the total solar eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Matt,
    Great seeing you out with camera. Glad the lauch worked out for you as well. Merritt Island is a great place any time of the year , got some nice pics from it. Hope to see more from you and your new gear!
    Thanks Al, it felt good to get out but still a lot of rust I need to break off. Already looking at a couple trips for next year if I can swing it.
    -Matt