AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with electrical problem, Please.

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Help with electrical problem, Please.

Just jumping in here with a quick note - depending on the type of breaker you have, you could have tripped one and it not appear 'tripped' in your electric panel. Some breaker types trip internally, but the actual switch/tab part would still appear to be on - they only get reset if you manually flip it to the off position and then back to on.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Did you get it fixed?

I'm still working on more important stuff, Gary. I'm bringing in my harvest and hanging it to dry from the carport rafters. A hell of a job for an old lady like me, and up and down a ladder to boot. Also, my toilet needs new guts. All I have is the great out of doors, same as the dogs, until the parts arrive Tuesday. After that, barring any new disasters, it'll be onward and upward with electricity.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

Liz, as Al mentioned it may be a loose wire in the junction box at the ceiling fan. I've seen this before. If the wire nut wasn't on well and the wire was barely holding on, it will try and draw excessive current to make up for the small gap or "electrical resistance" in the circuit. The pop you heard is likely that small arc drawn due to the electricity trying to jump the gap. ( think of unplugging a running vacuum cleaner and a small spark is seen ) this small gap could have been what caused the spark or pop you heard up at the fan. This could have caused the wire to further separate from the "hot" wire it is connected to which may in turn be the hot that also ties into all the hot wires in that room. sometimes many wires are put together with a wire nut and a good solid connection isn't made. It could very well be as simple as that. It sounds that way to me.

I do quite a bit of electrical work as I work at a power plant and do most of my own work at home as well.

Hope this helps?

P.S. before getting into the ceiling fan junction box, it might be a good idea to isolate the breaker that feeds the room for safety sake!

Hope this helps.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12