AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotted Project!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Spotted Project!

In over 20 years of keeping discus, I've never had a water related issue until now, and it doesn't seem to be going away. Although there isn't any more sludge or debris that I can see in the water, over the weekend I lost another 30 juvies after doing a 60% water change with a combination of 80% aged and 20% fresh tap water. I'm not sure on the math, but I'm thinking this translated to around 5% fresh tap water as it relates to the whole tank volume. And this is filtered water! After running many tests I found my ph is coming into the house at a level that is off any scale I can use to measure and I'm now having to age my water with a circulating pump for a solid 24-36 hours instead of the usual 3 or 4 hours. Over the years, I had become some what of a water expert and had 100% confidence in my supply, but now it seems I'm beginning from scratch and I am mystified! Of course, the water company denies anything out of the normal but 20 years of discus keeping tells me something is going on. I've warned all my friends to avoid drinking the toxic cocktail that is our tap water and to drink RO or bottled water.

That being said, I wanted to thank everyone once again for the contributions that are helping to rebuild my discus stock after the water issue I had in July. Especially Al and Pat who started their fundraiser even before my power was restored, lol... I never expected everyone's generosity, and to be honest I came pretty close to refunding everyone's donations because I wasn't sure I had the energy to rebuild after this heart breaking devastation, but in the end I decided not to give up.

I also want to thank Miranda at Chicago Discus and Robert Lim for hand selecting the first of my replacements, an absolutely stunning mated pair of Super Panthera's. They're still a bit timid and I don't blame them since their QT facility is my living room, lol... So far I haven't been able to take a photo that shows their true beauty or even comes close to doing them justice, but here are some pics I'd like to share. They look almost like BD's with thousands of little red spots and the body, eyes and fins are nearly perfect. Panthera's have become quite popular these days, and I've seen a lot of them, but these are hands down the nicest and most unique I've seen!! But Miranda knows how picky I am and she told Robert and they sure came through!

These are just the first of my replacements. More will hopefully follow soon...

I'll keep this thread going as they mature and hopefully become as good a pair as the Ruby x Meteor, as well as the others I hope to acquire soon and make this thread an all around spotted project!

Super Pantheras 3.jpg

Super Pantheras 2.jpg

Default Re: Rebuilding!

Wow wow WOW!!!! Thats intense! Its like every scale is individually painted! Those are incredible looking fish Brian! Nicely done Miranda and Robert Lim!!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

The City change the water, the ph was off the chart. The City wanted to clean out the pipes by addition of chemical. After the water change my lost was around 13 tanks of fish. Good thing I didn't do a water change on the rest of the tanks. Check with the nearest pet store, they also had the same problem, they said to add some buffer. Other fish stores a mile away didn't have this problem only at my neighborhood.

Real Name
    Jake

Don't mind me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. Holy smokes those are some amazing fish! Excited to see where this new chapter leads!

Oh Brian. I need some of that stuff growing out in my tanks. Tell them to get busy. And please, please, please but me on the list for some fry.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Just because they're holding hands doesn't mean they're going to the dance, lol... Just trying not to get my hopes get too inflated... I've had too many pairs look good then fizzle, but of course you're on the list!!

I also have a new small batch of Ruby x Meteor that hatched yesterday. If I don't kill them, they'll be up for grabs as well...
    Last edited by jeep; 09-06-2023 at 05:02 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Wow those look nice. Someday! Someday! I can dream
    Question: What types will the hatch be from them?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I'm with Al and others...OH MY GOSH. What beauties Brian. Hope they do the dance and soon
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    The City change the water, the ph was off the chart. The City wanted to clean out the pipes by addition of chemical. After the water change my lost was around 13 tanks of fish. Good thing I didn't do a water change on the rest of the tanks. Check with the nearest pet store, they also had the same problem, they said to add some buffer. Other fish stores a mile away didn't have this problem only at my neighborhood.
    Is that chemical Chromium-6? The EWG has a recommended Health Guideline of 0.02 PPB for hexavalent chromium – and 0.0906 PPB of chromium-6 was detected in San Francisco tap water, exceeding this Guideline by 4.5x.

I wanted to get back into discus but this concerns me. Should it be a concern?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by holderman19 View Post
    Wow those look nice. Someday! Someday! I can dream
    Question: What types will the hatch be from them?
    LSS's aren't a fixed strain and the Panthera version is very new so I'm thinking there may be a wide variety. My best guess is there will be a few that look like the parents, some really nice LSS's, some nice leopards, some well refined leopards and possibly some really nice Snakeskins.

Here is a Panthera Leopard. I'm hoping to get a few of these down the road...

Panthera Leopard.jpg
    Last edited by jeep; 09-06-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Brian,
    I think you will get some variety in the fry.. but even if there are I think they will be stellar . Obviously after you fill Liz's tanks.. I would surely find an empty tank here for some. Lol.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Brian,
    I think you will get some variety in the fry.. but even if there are I think they will be stellar . Obviously after you fill Liz's tanks.. I would surely find an empty tank here for some. Lol.

Al
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Put me in the line!

Real Name
    Bill

Those are awesome! I am planning for wilds but these are so nice. Someday I will need more tanks.... Meanwhile, hope your water stabilizes. Scary that your pre-filtration and aging didn't prevent serious problems. yikes. May it be all upwards from here!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4eye gold fish View Post
    Is that chemical Chromium-6? The EWG has a recommended Health Guideline of 0.02 PPB for hexavalent chromium – and 0.0906 PPB of chromium-6 was detected in San Francisco tap water, exceeding this Guideline by 4.5x.

I wanted to get back into discus but this concerns me. Should it be a concern?
    Don't know if it was Chromium 6 but it sure clean out my clear siphon hose.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast