AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Filtration media

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Filtration media

If one keeps burnt ceramic rings in say canister filter or top filter how much quantity of these media are required so that BB growing on them would convert ammonia into nitrite and nitrate in a barebottom aquarium of capacity around 120 gallons with about 7 discus of length about 4 inches. I see some using filters with media that look awfully small compared to size and discus in some aquariums.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Filtration media

Ok for me in a community type discus tank. I’d want about 1000gph in water movement. For media sponge is my main media. For a 120 I’d use a wet/dry filter. 1041AA2E-8A92-4580-9461-AC9CA681E710.jpg. And a odyssea 350 internal filter with 2 sponges in it. You want 2 filters so if one fails the other is working.

That’s how I would run that tank. I’ve got no clue what burnt ceramics are. But good to see even in India they’re selling useless stuff. Everybody’s trying to make money. Sponge that’s all you need. Main reason both canisters and hobs come with sponge. For that tank an fx6 type filter with just the sponge it comes with is all you need. If you’ve already got the ceramics add them to the second cage. That’s more than enough. Second filter the odyssea. For hob the tidal 100. Use the media it comes with and add filter floss to the top and as a second filter the odyssea. Thing is these are discus you will be changing lots of water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Just as I thought, these days too many companies making filtration media. I think just simple sponge and pot scrubber would be enough. Perhaps few small lava chips.

Real Name
    Mervin

There's lots of stuff you can us for media. Like mentioned even lava rock. I've seen folks using dollar scrubbies. Anything with lots of pores and surface area that is non toxic should work. There's lots of types on the market from plastic to ceramic. Sponges work for both mechanical and biological filters. For 120 gal I would go with a FX6. They seem perfect for a 120 gal.; they have lots of sponges and lots of room for media. Then there's always the sump like above.

I been using balls and sponge works great wet/dry. I also added a second of the black sponge you see in the picture and moved my heater below the balls..

Screenshot 2023-09-11 122149.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

I run solely 30 ppm foam and static k1 in every one of my external filters (fluval 407, fx4, etc)

If I had the space for a large sump I would run nothing else but fluidized k1 bed, and maybe 30 ppm foam at the end

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I use ceramic rings in my fluval canister filters.

Registered Member

Sump will always be superior to any canister [I've owned both extensively].

Sumps increase oxygenation, reduce surface scum, clean up all the equipment clutter, keep DT level consistent and more importantly increase water volume [less toxin buildup, etc.]

Regarding biomedia. Seachem Matrix and Marinepure Ceramic Biomedia are the best money can buy. Bio-balls will always pale in comparison due to reduce surface area.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok best bio media: 1) sponge 2) plastic bio balls 3) plastic scrubs (bought at grocery or dollar store) than the list drops into all the pumice(matrix) lave rock (bio-home) and all the rest of the ceramics. And all of these score so low because they get clogged with bio-film and the water just runs past them. The sponge is sponge the water just runs a different route. Creating new spaces for bacteria to grow. Plus we squeeze it out once a week. Try squeezing lava rock. The plastics because the water flow constantly knocks the bacteria off the plastic giving room for new bacteria to grow. It’s this new growing bacteria that keeps the tanks clean. Reason why they say k1 is the best media! The friction is constantly knocking off the bacteria so new bacteria can grow. Where does the old bacteria go? Into the sponge that we rinse weekly. Try rinsing pumice! Don’t believe the hype!! And neither pumice or lava rock reduce nitrate for long. Yes they may reduce nitrate but only till they get clogged with bio-film.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
    Sump will always be superior to any canister [I've owned both extensively].

Sumps increase oxygenation, reduce surface scum, clean up all the equipment clutter, keep DT level consistent and more importantly increase water volume [less toxin buildup, etc.]

Regarding biomedia. Seachem Matrix and Marinepure Ceramic Biomedia are the best money can buy. Bio-balls will always pale in comparison due to reduce surface area.
    I made mistake.

7.1.4.-filter-biomedia-efficiency-7b.jpg