ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help on how and what to dose to help my discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: Need some help on how and what to dose to help my discus

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I would just worry on the metro first. Gill flukes don't usually kill discus juvies and adults if it is flukes..they just irritate the gills in most cases/Its possible that the prazi you treated with already killed the flukes. What happens with Prazi is it kills the flukes, but the hooks the flukes attach to the gills with stay imbedded, Its kind of like getting a splinter.. it gets irritated and can get a little inflamed. These gills can take awhile to heal from fluke damage.
    al
    thanks brewmaster! i'm on day 5 of the metro and they are looking alot better. their appetites have gotten alot stronger except for one. The largest one being a pidgeon with the gill flukes i barely ever see eating. He does not really show any interest and when he does try to eat his eye to mouth coordination seems very off. All the others tend to finish everything up before he can even get a bite in. is there anything i can do to help him out?

Quote Originally Posted by Spunky424 View Post
    thanks brewmaster! i'm on day 5 of the metro and they are looking alot better. their appetites have gotten alot stronger except for one. The largest one being a pidgeon with the gill flukes i barely ever see eating. He does not really show any interest and when he does try to eat his eye to mouth coordination seems very off. All the others tend to finish everything up before he can even get a bite in. is there anything i can do to help him out?
    Are you able to separate the Pigeon to its own tank?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

al
    i can pickup a 10 gallon (or should i opt for a 20 gallon?) from petco add some media with a sponge filter if that will help him. what do you suggest?
    Last edited by Spunky424; 09-18-2023 at 02:28 PM.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Just for quarantine tank for 1 fish a 10 gallon tank is fine. If you are able to get a 20 then I would because if you get multiple fish that need to be quarantined down the road you have it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

al
    Just picked up a 10 gallon tank to separate the pidgeon. Anything special that should be done with him? or is it just to isolate him to give him a chance to eat?

First step is to isolate it and offer it various foods. Sometimes when A fish has been getting thinner and not eating they become malnourished and vitamin deficient. Parasites can also cause this by damaging the gut lining... a major absorption point for nutrients. Deficiencies can affect the eyes... the thought is to get it eating and if there is a particular food it will eat.. soak that in a liquid vitamin.

Doesnt need to be an expensive one.. something like this is fine.

Screenshot_20230919_161908.jpg

Understand that theres no guarantee it will help but it should not harm the fish.. Ive used this one in the past.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

First step is to isolate it and offer it various foods. Sometimes when A fish has been getting thinner and not eating they become malnourished and vitamin deficient. Parasites can also cause this by damaging the gut lining... a major absorption point for nutrients. Deficiencies can affect the eyes... the thought is to get it eating and if there is a particular food it will eat.. soak that in a liquid vitamin.

Doesnt need to be an expensive one.. something like this is fine.

Screenshot_20230919_161908.jpg

Understand that theres no guarantee it will help but it should not harm the fish.. Ive used this one in the past.

Al
    Thank you Al. does the vitamin get dosed into the water column or should i soak the pellets/food with the vitamin to absorb? i'm on day 8 of the metro dose now and i believe i should be doing 10 days? or should i be doing 12? After this round of meds i will isolate him and try to feed him separately to see if he will eat.

Thank you Al. does the vitamin get dosed into the water column or should i soak the pellets/food with the vitamin to absorb? i'm on day 8 of the metro dose now and i believe i should be doing 10 days? or should i be doing 12? After this round of meds i will isolate him and try to feed him separately to see if he will eat.
    Really Sorry for the delay here Chris, I lost track of this thread, Best to add to some food, soak the food and feed.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

Really Sorry for the delay here Chris, I lost track of this thread, Best to add to some food, soak the food and feed.

al
    no worries. i've been 4 days after completing the metro treatment and everyone is looking good. eating well. i'm cycling my larger tank now in hopes to transfer them to their permanent home. thank you so much for your help! i also just put a food order from your website and very excited to receive it!

no worries. i've been 4 days after completing the metro treatment and everyone is looking good. eating well. i'm cycling my larger tank now in hopes to transfer them to their permanent home. thank you so much for your help! i also just put a food order from your website and very excited to receive it!
    Thanks Chris, Saw that and its all packed to go out today!
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12