ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Convince me barebottom can look great

Default Re: Convince me barebottom can look great

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski77 View Post
    I struggled with the same question... not a great fan of bare bottom (personal preference) so when preparing for set-up I was thinking I want kind of what you described. I don't know if I did right or wrong... for now tank has been running for 3 months... getting more and more stable as I learn and tweak some set up elements (temperature, lights, feeding, water change schedule, etc.)... but my discus seem to be very happy for now.
    I don't think I'm necessarily super busy with maintenance but if you stay on the top of your schedule it is possible.
    This was my choice and obviously arguable with experts (I'm by no means one)... but wanted to chime in and say it's possible and not really over-kill.

Attachment 136383

Attachment 136384
    Hi,
    Welcome to SimplyDiscus! Your tank looks very good indeed. At 3 months running its a good sign that your fish are doing well.. I would really like to you track this tanks progress here.. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-Tank-Journals

Share the ups and downs as time progresses. Its the best way for others to see what works and didnt for someone.

One note I will make here on your tanks.. its really critical that you quarantine new livestock in a setup like yours. Treating a parasite or disease issue in substrate tanks is very hard.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Thank you for warm welcome and your supporting comments... very comforting. I absolutely agree on the quarantine... the way I did it actually was I bought all other fish prior to discus and "quarantine" them in my tank for 2 weeks... than added discus, which I knew is from trustful source. Never guaranteed but this was in my mind safest approach. For now the crew is set but appreciate your advise and obviously 100% applicable in case more ideas come to my mind

Will also get to the other thread and catch up on progress.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes major thing with planted tanks. If something gets in there they are next to impossible to treat. My advice is bare bottom. Both being new to discus you really should first get used to keeping these fish. They are not easy to keep. So many fail or just struggle because they try to much at once. Planted tanks also are not easy. There is a balance needed to keep plants alive. First plants need to adjust to the warm water. Most plants will melt when added. Then grow back more accustomed to your water. 9C472CD1-6367-4FCB-95DF-0F4AA18EE8D2.jpg. This tank was all my own plants taken from my other tanks and grown in that tank with the discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Outstandingly beautiful! Need to spread this joy of non-bare bottom tanks around... they are really so good looking!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I’m with OP. I don’t like bare bottom format display and prefer sand, wood and some plants on wood. Minimalist but not overly minimal

Registered Member

I agree; I never liked barebottom unless strictly for quarantine or breeding.

In a display it looks out of place, IMHO, although I understand the reasoning's behind it.

There's no way you can compare something like this-
    maxresdefault.jpg

To this-
    4840.jpg
    Last edited by Raul-7; 09-23-2023 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
    I agree; I never liked barebottom unless strictly for quarantine or breeding.

In a display it looks out of place, IMHO, although I understand the reasoning's behind it.

There's no way you can compare something like this-
    maxresdefault.jpg

To this-
    4840.jpg
    I will take bare bottom healthy tank of discus on the top any day over the bottom tank.

The bottom tank is lovely.. First thing I would do if I owned it is put a fairy garden in it and maybe a statue of a white unicorn. You couldnt pay me to put a discus in it.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I will take bare bottom healthy tank of discus on the top any day over the bottom tank.

The bottom tank is lovely.. First thing I would do if I owned it is put a fairy garden in it and maybe a statue of a white unicorn. You couldnt pay me to put a discus in it.

Al
    I knew you'd say it, well it is small [75G] and it wasn't designed with Discus in mind.

How about this one? 2400G [those are full grown Altums].

works01_sp.jpg
    Last edited by Raul-7; 09-23-2023 at 06:50 AM.

Raul,
    I know this is lost on you but people that keep their discus in a bare tank dont see it as Bare. They see their discus .. which is what they value. You see a bare glass box... I see the discus.

Scaped tanks, biotopes, and planted tanks are all welland good if thats what the owner wants to see..its not what the discus needs and can often harm the discus. You can do both.. most fail trying because to have one means neglecting the other.

Ive had this conversation a thousand times with novices to discus. Try as I may I can not always get through to them. That does bother me as I know whats instore for their discus is not a good future.

Oh and yes the Altum tank is beautiful..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Well for me all 3 of those tanks are wrong for discus. First one is a typical Facebook “looks how many discus I have” tank. There are at the least 12 to many discus in that tank. 12-15 would be more than enough. The next tank is a show tank to be rated. These are for the show. Most are taken apart after the show and another built. The last is a great looking tank. Huge! But still no good for discus .

My tank yesterday after water change 9C7FF50E-E6B4-4A1B-AC8B-6FE467E39802.jpg there’s 14 in there and it’s a 180 .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Mine this morning after water change… it’s personal… but I love my discus in green

E0B0C484-FEC9-4134-B6AA-C6DC2452966B.jpg

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I totally agree with Iminit, but people will do what they want regardless of what you tell them. Good luck with your tank just update us all about three years down the road and how your fish have grown and remain healthy over time. Love and peace out.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Raul,
    I know this is lost on you but people that keep their discus in a bare tank dont see it as Bare. They see their discus .. which is what they value. You see a bare glass box... I see the discus.

Scaped tanks, biotopes, and planted tanks are all welland good if thats what the owner wants to see..its not what the discus needs and can often harm the discus. You can do both.. most fail trying because to have one means neglecting the other.

Ive had this conversation a thousand times with novices to discus. Try as I may I can not always get through to them. That does bother me as I know whats instore for their discus is not a good future.

Oh and yes the Altum tank is beautiful..
    Ok, I agree keeping plants and Discus healthy is not easy for a novice.

How about we come to a middleground.

1_0_6_1aquarium_discus_fishtank.jpg

This is both beautiful, natural and simple. Also keeps the focus on the fish.

Real Name
    Tom

Raul nobody is telling you how to do it. Yes there are many options! But in the end it’s what you want to do. My advice is learn the fish first. Learn how to take care of discus. Than if you’re ready to try more go for it.

Tom summarized it perfectly. Its far easier to learn how to care for the fish first in a bare bottom tank where the parameters are easy to control .Then if you want to try jazzing your tank up.. go for it. From all our discussions so far its clear you have a certain look you want and a certain ethos you believe in. Its not that you cant have those things but You should really learn from the forum members here what definitely works ..use it as your starting point.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast