ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Maybe Hope for Monarchs

Default Maybe Hope for Monarchs

Today was at Hammonasset Beach State Park and was amazed by thousands of Monarchs. They were everywhere, but particularly on the Groundsel Trees and Seaside Golden Rod (Solidago sempervirens) I have not seen very many this summer at all so was thrilled to see so many staging here for their migration . I have never seen so many Monarchs in one place. This park is on the Long Island Sound between CT and Long Island NY and is a huge stop over for migrating Birds as well. With the hurricane offshore it was windy there and they were mostly hanging on or being carried a bit by the wind. Not easy to photo like that with a telephoto lens.

Monarch Butterfly( (Danaus plexippus) on Groundsel Tree (Baccharis halimifolia)

Monarch Butterfly( (Danaus plexippus) on Groundsel Tree (Baccharis halimifolia) by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Monarch Butterfly( (Danaus plexippus) on Seaside Golden Rod (Solidago sempervirens) by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Monarch Butterfly( (Danaus plexippus) on Groundsel Tree (Baccharis halimifolia) by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Monarch Butterfly( (Danaus plexippus) by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

I hope these beauties make it safe to the wintering grounds and then back to breed..its such a long dangerous journey.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Maybe Hope for Monarchs

Yes it been a lean year for monarch’s here. 3 total but only one of those Monarchs. May be the weather has them north longer. Guess I’ll see in the next few weeks.

Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Maybe Hope for Monarchs

lovely
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray