ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: paypal users ..changes to debit cards

Default paypal users ..changes to debit cards

Hi all,
    Not sure everyone knows this yet but Paypal recently ( as of sept 12/23) changed how their Paypal Debit card work. They sent an email entitled "changes to our terms of service" a few days ago. The email says nothing of the changes to the debit card, you need to read though pages of legal mumbo jumbo jargon to see it.. and even then for a major changes its not called out as such..

The way it used to be was if you had a paypal debit card you could link it to a back up funding like a credit card or a bank account and if a purchase you made exceeded your paypal balance the backup funding would kick in and the transaction was ok'd. It was a handy feature.

Now if you use the paypal debit card, there is no back up account you can link to cover a purchase.. If you have enough money in your paypal account the transaction is okayed. If you don't ..its declined. If you want to use that debit card for purchases that exceed the amount you have in paypal you need to add funds from your bank account first. It also incidentally means you can't use your credit card any longer as a back up funding or obviously to add funds to paypal.

I am told by customer service that paying with your email address has not changed... just using the debit card. For me ..it pretty much negates any positives for the debit card. If you have transfer funds from your bank to use your paypal debit card, you might as well just use your bank debit card. Oh and of course paypal offers you now instant tranfer of funds from your bank for a fee..or you can wait a few days for free.

Pretty dumb policy move on their part which is probably motivated by good old greed,

Just a heads so you don't run into a declined transaction, I know paypal is used alot in our hobby.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-16-2023 at 06:58 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: paypal users ..changes to debit cards

Thanks for letting me know about that, Al. I'm allergic to reading the small print. What a shame that such a handy feature is no longer available.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thanks for letting me know about that, Al. I'm allergic to reading the small print. What a shame that such a handy feature is no longer available.
    Liz, I hear you . Im allergic to crummy customer service.
    .When I called them to clarify things and complained they didnt adequately tell customers the lady I spoke to told me "when we send out those emails about changing our terms of service we expect that you will read it. "

Needless to say I cant post my reply because the admin wants this to be a family friendly forum.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-16-2023 at 08:47 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

This is the highly descriptive email they sent..

Screenshot_20230916_194351.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-16-2023 at 08:02 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

This is the legal agreement changes that they link to..

Menu
    Back To Home Page
    Download Printable PDF
    POLICY UPDATES
    Last updated on September 5, 2023

Notice of Amendment(s) to the United States

This Page

This page details and/or previews updates to PayPal users of changes to the United States PayPal User Agreement or other online agreements, policies, or statements that require notice. You can also review Past Policy Updates notices. Note that additional changes could be made to previewed agreements on or before the effective dates listed, provided the applicable notice requirements are met.

Upcoming Changes

We’re making changes to certain agreements (listed below) that govern your relationship with PayPal. These changes will take place automatically on the corresponding effective date(s) shown below.

Actions Needed

Please carefully review the notices below and familiarize yourself with the upcoming changes. By continuing to use our services after the changes take effect, you agree to be bound by those changes. Otherwise, no further action is needed from you to accept such changes. However, if you would prefer to decline them, then you will need to close your PayPal account prior to the applicable effective date, as described in the user agreement.

Notices

Issued: July 24, 2023

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement
    Effective October 23, 2023:

The fees sellers pay for PayPal QR code transactions are being updated. Sellers will pay a standard rate of 2.29% plus an updated fixed fee per transaction received through a PayPal QR code. You can preview the Merchant Fees Page below that will be effective following such changes, which includes the updated fixed fee in all available currencies. The new pricing will result in fee increases for some transactions.
    The User Agreement is being amended to clarify the scope and applicability of the Commercial Entity Agreement to specified card payments received by sellers and to make relevant updates consistent with the requirements of the card network rules.
    Review the updated PayPal User Agreement
    Review the updated Merchant Fees

Amendments to the Commercial Entity Agreement
    Effective November 1, 2023:

The Commercial Entity Agreement is being amended to reflect the member banks that may process card payment transactions, to clarify the scope and applicability to specified card payments received by sellers, and to make relevant updates consistent with the requirements of the card network rules.
    Review the updated Commercial Entity Agreement

Amendments to the PayPal Online Card Payment Services Agreement

The Advanced Credit and Debit Card Payments suite of functionality may include the ability to integrate eligible third-party wallets as add-on features. We’re revising our terms to indicate that if you choose to integrate such add-on features, you agree to the applicable third-party terms via your acceptance of the PayPal Online Card Payment Services Agreement. Such acceptance includes your acknowledgement and agreement that such third-party features and terms are provided, updated, and noticed solely by the relevant third party and not by PayPal.
    Review the updated PayPal Online Card Payment Services Agreement

Amendments to the PayPal Zettle Hardware and Delivery Terms

We are clarifying existing card network fraud liability limitations in the Hardware and Delivery Terms when PayPal Zettle merchants use manual keypad entry for transactions using cards that only have a magnetic stripe.
    Review the updated PayPal Zettle Hardware and Delivery Terms

Amendments to the PayPal Zettle Terms and Conditions

We’re clarifying the requirements for use of the PayPal Zettle Customers feature.
    Review the updated PayPal Zettle Terms and Conditions

Discontinuation of the PayPal Here™ services and removal of related terms
    Effective September 30, 2023:

We’re discontinuing the PayPal Here™ services. Accordingly:
    The PayPal Here™ Agreement will be removed from our Legal Agreements for PayPal Services page shortly thereafter.
    Any references to PayPal Here will be deleted from our other PayPal terms.
    If you wish to retain a copy of the relevant terms, please visit our website and download printable pdfs prior to the discontinuation date. A pdf version of the PayPal Here™ Agreement is also available using the link below.
    PayPal Here Agreement

Amendments to PayPal Debit Mastercard® Cardholder Agreement
    Effective September 12, 2023:

Please review the updates below, which take effect on the date noted above. You can also review the updated Cardholder Agreement for additional detail.

“Automatic Top-Up; Authorization” - This feature of the PayPal Debit Card will no longer be available.
    “Card” and “Activation” sections – updates to clarify certain provisions.
    “Transaction Authorization” section – updates to clarify the use of your Card to authorize transactions.
    “Deposits to Balance Account” section - Adding a reference to the ability to use your Card to add funds to PayPal Balance at participating stores, including associated fees.
    “PayPal Debit Card Fees” section - Clarifying certain fee names and descriptors, as well as addition of Transfers to Balance Account Fee.
    “Amendment and Cancellation” section - Clarifying the manner in which notices may be provided.
    “Customer Service” section – Updated the customer service days and times when agents are available to answer calls.
    If you prefer not to accept these changes, please contact us at the customer service number provided in your Cardholder Agreement to close your Card Account.

Review the updated PayPal Debit Mastercard® Cardholder Agreement

Amendments to PayPal Business Debit Mastercard® Cardholder Agreement

Please review the updates below, which take effect on the date noted above. You can also review the updated Cardholder Agreement for additional detail.

The Backup Funding Source linked bank account feature of the PayPal Business Debit Mastercard will no longer be available.
    “Debit Card” and “Activation” sections – updates clarifying certain provisions.
    “Using your Debit Card” section – updates to clarify the use of your Card to authorize transactions.
    “Additions to PayPal Business Balance” section – Adding a reference to the ability to use your Card to add funds to PayPal Balance at participating stores, including associated fees.
    “PayPal Business Debit Mastercard Fees” section – Clarifying certain other fees.
    “Amendment and Cancellation” section – Clarifying the manner in which notices may be provided.
    If you prefer not to accept these changes, please contact us at the customer service number provided in your Cardholder Agreement to close your Card Account.

Review the updated PayPal Business Debit Mastercard® Cardholder Agreement

Amendments to PayPal Terms of Use for Google Pay

The Automatic Top Up feature in Google Pay will no longer be available.
    Clarifying certain provisions regarding transaction authorization.
    Clarifying certain fees.
    Clarifying the manner in which notices may be provided.
    If you prefer not to accept these changes, you may delete your PayPal Account from your Google Account in Google Payments or call us at 1-855-684-1966.

Review the updated PayPal Terms of Use for Google Pay

Issued: August 9, 2023

Amendments to the PayPal Cryptocurrency Terms and Conditions

The spread (or margin) PayPal will include in the cryptocurrency exchange rate when you buy or sell cryptocurrency is being increased. This spread applies when you buy or sell cryptocurrency in exchange for USD. This update may result in a higher overall amount paid by you when buying or selling cryptocurrency. You can learn more by previewing the Cryptocurrency Terms and Conditions below.
    Review the updated PayPal Cryptocurrency Terms and Conditions

Notices of Recent Changes

Originally Issued: August 3, 2023
    Courtesy Update: September 5, 2023

Amendments to the PayPal.Me Terms and Conditions
    Effective September 5, 2023:

We updated the PayPal.Me Terms and Conditions to describe the personal information that can be seen by anyone visiting a PayPal account holder’s PayPal.Me page.
    Review the updated PayPal.Me Terms and Conditions

Amendments to the PayPal Privacy Statement
    Effective September 5, 2023:

We updated the PayPal Privacy Statement to describe the personal information that can be seen by PayPal account holders and non-account holders (collectively “Users”) to help facilitate transactions and to describe how PayPal account holders can adjust what personal information may be seen by other Users via their Account Settings. If you would like to review and manage what personal information may be seen by other Users, please review your Account Settings. We also updated the Privacy Statement to clarify what personal information is disclosed to other PayPal account holders to complete a transaction.
    Review the updated PayPal Privacy Statement

PayPal
    So glad the email made the changes sound important.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

Of course this is about greed. They want you to maintain a balance with them so they can earn interest on the money because the 3-4% per transaction they charge isn't enough, lol...

I used to love my PayPal debit. It added a little extra security through instant email notifications when the card was used (I busted my local pub for re-running my card the very first time I used it, something I had always suspected), as well as a 3 day delay before a transaction actually hit my bank account. When I was in Europe in 2018, my I received emails of card usage totaling $5000 in fraudulent charges. They covered these charges immediately and without question. It happened again when I was on vacation in Florida. I had a layover in Houston, and the next morning I received an email saying my card had been used at Lowes for a $1500 purchase. I finally figured out that the card had an RFID chip and people must have been scanning it because the card never left my wallet. However, I had a bad customer service rep who said they would investigate the case and if they found the charges were fraudulent then they would reimburse me in 90 days. They actually did reimburse me the next morning but I don't know what they actual policy is because I cancelled the debit card and removed my bank account from their system...

PayPal has grown a little big for their britches anyway...