AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Advise for DIY stand for new 120 gallon

Registered Member

Default Advise for DIY stand for new 120 gallon

New 120 gallon (48x24) ready to be set up. Had a friend build me the stand custom to dimensions provided

Before filling up new tank with water to even leak test, I noticed last night that the empty tank is slightly off level on one corner of the stand. It is able to be wobbled slightly (partially because it’s empty). Photo attached is of the corner where the stand is not touching the tank (while empty)

I’ve been told a variety of advice online and wanted to ask here for thoughts on how to fix.

Some have said to put a shim on the one corner, others have said leveling mats or applying thin layer of silicone on the one corner, while the friend who built the stand ( I trust him and his experience) said the tank will be level once filled with water.

He told me with dimensional lumber they don’t always sit perfect. When you add water and weight it’ll settle down into being level.

Wondering what the forums’ thoughts are on this and how I should proceed

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: Advise for DIY stand for new 120 gallon

I would never shim a corner. Either fill it with water and watch to see if the tank flexes or the stand flexes. It looks like the stand is on carpet so the stand might flex. I would probably use a mat/pad of some sort under the tank and fill it with water. Please post pictures when it is filled. We love pictures here on SD.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    I would never shim a corner. Either fill it with water and watch to see if the tank flexes or the stand flexes. It looks like the stand is on carpet so the stand might flex. I would probably use a mat/pad of some sort under the tank and fill it with water. Please post pictures when it is filled. We love pictures here on SD.
    new to this, so cut a piece of pad/foam and place it directly under the tank trim/on top of the stand in the corner pic I posted?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I use 1/2 expanded polystyrene foam. bead board, that I paint black. Put it under the entire tank. They make a thin foam pad just for this purpose. I am not sure where to get it. I am sure someone will chime in shortly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

I had the same thing happen. Used 1/2" foam board from Lowes cut to fit. No problems

I usually set my tanks on hard foam but theres a limit to how much that compresses before it breaks.

As for shims.. there is absolutely nothing level in my house. Especially the concrete floors of the basement. I dont think theres a tank here that isn't shimmed in some fashion. I wish they werent but its what I have been stuck dealing with since we bought the house years ago.

My only advice is shim the stand.. not the tank.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images